What does this symbol even mean?

In summary, the inequality N(e,S) <= D(e,S) holds for any metric space (S,d) and positive real number e, where N(e,S) represents the cardinality of the e-neighborhood of a point in S, and D(e,S) represents the minimal cardinality of a set of points in S such that every point in S is within a distance of e/2 from at least one of the points in the set. This result can be proven by using the definition of neighborhood and a property of metric spaces.
powerovergame

Homework Statement

Show for any metric space (S,d) and  e> 0 that N(e, S) <=  D(e, S) <= N(e/2, S)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Can somebody please tell me what does N(e,S) or D(e,S) even mean so I can at least know what I am asked to prove?

I dig through all the notes, and online sources and could not find anything operation that involves a metric space with a real number.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
powerovergame said:

Homework Statement

Show for any metric space (S,d) and  e> 0 that N(e, S) <=  D(e, S) <= N(e/2, S)
My browser (IE 8) shows empty boxes for six of the symbols above.

Do you have a textbook? If so, it should define any notation like this that is used. N(. , .) could mean "neighborhood", but the notation used in the text I studied for my Topology class uses N(p, ε) to mean the ε-neighborhood of a point p in set S.
powerovergame said:

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Can somebody please tell me what does N(e,S) or D(e,S) even mean so I can at least know what I am asked to prove?

I dig through all the notes, and online sources and could not find anything operation that involves a metric space with a real number.

Thanks!

Mark...don't use Internet Explorer. This is 2011, use Mozilla FireFox.

flyingpig said:
Mark...don't use Internet Explorer. This is 2011, use Mozilla FireFox.

FireFox is pure crap for a lot of operations, so some of us shun it. For the casual user it seems OK but if you are a software developer, it is useless.

phinds said:
FireFox is pure crap for a lot of operations, so some of us shun it. For the casual user it seems OK but if you are a software developer, it is useless.

Use Chrome then?

Uh they are just all regular texts. Thanks for your help, I suspected it meaning neighborhood too, you see, neighborhood is defined by a point and a positive number. Here it is just a metric space and a positive number, what kind of things can be defined out of this?

And this class doesn't have a textbook. We use only a power point slide, which I look through at least 10 times and found nothing that relates to this.

It feels one way when you don't know how to prove a statement, but it feels totally different when you don't even know what statement you are asked to prove.
Mark44 said:
My browser (IE 8) shows empty boxes for six of the symbols above.

Do you have a textbook? If so, it should define any notation like this that is used. N(. , .) could mean "neighborhood", but the notation used in the text I studied for my Topology class uses N(p, ε) to mean the ε-neighborhood of a point p in set S.

Unless someone else here can decipher this, you should ask your instructor what the notation means.

Mark44 said:
Unless someone else here can decipher this, you should ask your instructor what the notation means.
If there was time I would't be here. Oh well... it's life. It's funny how the instructor just put it there as if it a commonly used notation

What was the symbol? Was it X?

flyingpig said:
What was the symbol? Was it X?
Symbols here <==> Symbols in the link [p]
S X
d rho
N N
D M

<=> is if and only if

1. What does this symbol even mean?

This is a very broad question and it depends on what symbol is being referred to. Symbols can have different meanings depending on the context in which they are used. It is important to provide more information or context in order to accurately determine the meaning of a symbol.

2. How do I interpret this symbol?

Interpreting a symbol also depends on the context in which it is used. Some symbols may have multiple meanings or interpretations, so it is important to consider the context and any accompanying information to determine the intended meaning.

3. Are there universal meanings for symbols?

While there are certain symbols that have universal meanings (such as mathematical symbols), many symbols can have different meanings or interpretations across cultures and languages. It is important to consider the cultural and historical context of a symbol when trying to determine its meaning.

4. Can symbols have different meanings in different contexts?

Yes, symbols can have different meanings in different contexts. For example, a heart symbol can represent love or affection in one context, but it can also represent the shape of a human heart in a medical context. Again, it is important to consider the context in order to accurately interpret a symbol.

5. Is there a specific way to research the meaning of a symbol?

When researching the meaning of a symbol, it is important to consider the context, culture, and historical significance of the symbol. Consulting reliable sources, such as dictionaries or encyclopedias, can also provide helpful information. Additionally, reaching out to experts in the field or individuals from the culture associated with the symbol can provide valuable insights.