Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What do you call this kind of attraction?

  1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    -You get two pieces of dry glass material with perfectly flat faces.

    -You press and rub them together. Initially, they seem to glide smoothly against each other...

    -...Eventually, after a few strokes, friction force gets very strong until the point you can't rub them at all.

    -A this stage the two pieces of glass have become stuck to each other, strongly!

    -They will remain stuck indefinitely until you force them apart. You can drop them on the carpet and still remain stuck, you get the idea that this is a very strong attraction, almost like a neo magnet to iron!

    -The action does not cause any damage, no scratch, nothing.

    -I suspect the action drives all the air out between the glass pieces and outside air pressure takes over??

    -I discovered this by accident when I decide to amuse myself with two glass prisms from a pair of binoculars! Any ideas what causes this attraction?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook