What do you think about gyroscopic propulsion? possible?

• I
  • Thread starter scott ketter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Propulsion
In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of gyroscopic propulsion and whether or not it is feasible. The person is seeking opinions and supporting evidence, but is skeptical due to a lack of peer-reviewed scientific papers on the topic. They have also reviewed patents and found them to be inadequate. The conversation also mentions being cautious of unreliable sources, such as random YouTube videos. Overall, the person is curious and open to discussion but is not advocating for the idea.
scott ketter
I am just trying to get a feel for peoples opinions and supporting math/physics on the possibility of gyroscopic propulsion. Do you think it is possible? Why or why not.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing. You can't produce a net force with a gyroscope, only torque. Total momentum is always conserved.

Don't trust random youtube videos made by crackpots.

scott ketter said:
I am just trying to get a feel for peoples opinions and supporting math/physics on the possibility of gyroscopic propulsion. Do you think it is possible? Why or why not.
Is there a peer reviewed scientific paper showing that it is possible?

I am not advocating. Just curious about peoples positions. I have reviewed the patents for this proposed technology and viewed them as not poss
Dale said:
Is there a peer reviewed scientific paper showing that it is possible?
I am not sure if there actually is or not. I have seen many patents and they all look like they would not result in any net directional force. I have my own theory but I want to get the theory, facts or opinions of others. Are you in the "maybe" category? So far I have 1 no.

scott ketter said:
I am not sure if there actually is or not.
Ok, once you are sure please post it and we can discuss it. Otherwise it is at best speculative and therefore not suitable for this forum

1. What is gyroscopic propulsion?

Gyroscopic propulsion is a theoretical concept that involves using the angular momentum of a spinning object, such as a gyroscope, to generate thrust and propel a vehicle forward. It is based on the principle of conservation of angular momentum and has been proposed as a potential alternative to traditional propulsion methods.

2. How does gyroscopic propulsion work?

In gyroscopic propulsion, a gyroscope is mounted on a spinning axis within a vehicle. As the gyroscope spins, it creates a force known as gyroscopic precession, which causes the axis of rotation to shift. This shift in axis creates a torque that can be harnessed to propel the vehicle in the opposite direction of the shift.

3. Is gyroscopic propulsion possible?

While there have been some successful demonstrations of gyroscopic propulsion in small-scale experiments, it is still considered a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be a viable method of propulsion for larger vehicles. There are also many technical and engineering challenges that would need to be overcome for it to become a practical means of propulsion.

4. What are the potential benefits of gyroscopic propulsion?

If gyroscopic propulsion were to become a reality, it could offer several potential benefits. It would be a highly efficient form of propulsion as it does not require the burning of fuel, and it could also potentially reduce noise and emissions. Additionally, it could allow for smoother and more precise control of a vehicle's movements.

5. Are there any current applications of gyroscopic propulsion?

At this time, there are no known practical applications of gyroscopic propulsion. Some researchers have proposed using it for space travel or as a means of powering drones, but these ideas are still in the early stages of development. It is possible that in the future, with further advancements in technology, gyroscopic propulsion could be used in various industries, but it is currently not a widely used technology.