What does "1 diopter of astigmatism" mean?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 3K views
KayT256
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
The measurement for astigmatism is diopter. But what does 1 diopter of astigmatism mean?
Thanks a lot if you help me figure this out!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ibix said:
Do you know what astigmatism is and what a diopter is?
Yes, I do. I know about diopters when I studied optical lenses, and I have also done some research about astigmatism.
 
Then it's the difference in optical power along the two principal axes.

Slice the lens through parallel to one axis and make a circularly symmetric (i.e. non-astigmatic) lens with the profile you see. Slice the lens through parallel to the other axis and make another circular lens with this profile. The difference in power of the two circular lenses will be the number of diopters of astigmatism in the original lens.
 
Ibix said:
Then it's the difference in optical power along the two principal axes.

Slice the lens through parallel to one axis and make a circularly symmetric (i.e. non-astigmatic) lens with the profile you see. Slice the lens through parallel to the other axis and make another circular lens with this profile. The difference in power of the two circular lenses will be the number of diopters of astigmatism in the original lens.
An alternative description is the addition of a cylinder with focal length 1m (as I remember). On my prescription they write 0.4Cyl and the angle.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: KayT256 and Ibix