Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does Hillary Clinton stand for?

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    My wife will be voting for her but when I ask her on what issues have influenced her decision, she does'nt have an answer.

Other than bashing Bush, I don't really know what Hillary's platform is.

She may very well be the next Prez. Haven't we had enough Bush's and Clinton's in the White House?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She took a beating last night in the debate because of her equivocation. Obama made the point as clearly as anyone that Hillary had stated her position several times in several ways [regarding the issue of NY issuing drivers licenses to illegal aliens], and he still had no idea what her position is. Neither did I.

4. Nov 1, 2007 #3
    did anyone see the canidates wife's on like an imatation view interview thing.

it was retarted. all anyone had to say was that i cant keep my kids safe.
    who cares.
    the death rate for teens is like 40% higher than if your older than 25-30

kids are dumb. thats why there kids.

5. Nov 1, 2007 #4

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First off, I can't believe a state governor's decision about issuing drivers licenses in his state is a Presidential election issue.

On the other hand, is there any politician that knows what they themselves think about anything? (The Buffalo News)

:rofl:

But, yes, it shouldn't have been that hard for her to back up the governor of her state.

6. Nov 1, 2007 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep. He should be impeached for that one. The Fed government is in default and has failed to protect our borders during an alleged war [their primary job at any time and yet another system failure], so state issues become national issues.

Is that what was going on here? I wasn't sure. Well, kudos to her if she opposes it, but the equivocation is still intolerable. Any chance of my support in the primary went bye bye...as if that matters.

We've had more than enough double-talk over the last eight years. I can't stomach another minute of it; be it from Hillary or King George.

Same goes for the issue of releasing official documents between her and Bill, during his term in office. She could say no, or yes, and I might be okay with either answer, but her bs double-talk answer was completely unacceptable.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  7. Nov 1, 2007 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

:rolleyes: :rofl: The very existence of illegal aliens means Bush should be impeached? Are you actually serious? Has there ever been a time when there were no illegal aliens? It's like your default answer to every problem is "Impeach Bush!" Got fired? Impeach Bush! Don't like what your wife made for dinner? Impeach Bush! Spilled coffee on your tie? Impeach Bush!

8. Nov 1, 2007 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Ivan is referring to Elliot Spitzer, Gov of NY, who proposed a plan to issue drivers licenses to illegal aliens. Many county clerks refused to comply.

I think Spitzer had in mind to provide some sort of photo ID to the aliens since they do not have federal documentation.

9. Nov 2, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not only drivers licenses, but licenses that would make it impossible to tell who is illegal, and who is legal. These in turn would serve as legitimate ID for just about anything. It was a highly transparent effort to effectively legalize anyone who didn't check a box specifying that they are illegal. The defense was that they would check the box if illegal, because to do otherwise would be, illegal.

There are more than enough reasons to impeach the traitor Bush, but this one goes to the idiot in NY.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  10. Nov 2, 2007 #9
    wait what happens when check the illegal box.

its like a job application.
    have you done drugs for recreational use.
    have you used cocaine
    have you smoked weed.

what are you really supposed to answer.

11. Nov 3, 2007 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, I think she was for it. I'm just surprised this has turned out to be such a big issue. Given the current situation where illegal aliens exist in New York, how should New York handle the issue of ensuring illegal alien drivers: a) know how to drive, b) have car insurance? The correct solution is to not address these problems because they shouldn't be here in the first place? Immigration is a valid federal issue. States just have to handle what's dealt them by the federal policy.

What's up with the claim that the issue caused her so much trouble she's now playing the gender card? She was giving a speech at a women's college. Of course she was going to make remarks about women succeeding in a 'man's world'. She would have probably made similar comments if she wasn't in an election campaign at all.

I would say Obama's remarks come closer to playing the race card than Clinton's comments playing the gender card. I'd also say his comments were effective regardless of whether you consider them playing the race card or not. They were entertaining (the little dig at Biden's gaffe, etc) and more a comment on where we're at vs. give me more now.

Regardless of substance, this is the first serious mistake in her campaign and it will be interesting to see what happens.

The election season is finally starting to become entertaining.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  12. Nov 3, 2007 #11
    The drivers license issue for illegals is a no win situation either way. Without a license they can't get insurance, but for the most part they can't afford insurance anyway. For legal residents Uninsured motorist coverage is a must.

Typically when pulled over for a traffic violation the illegals here are issued: one citation for the violation, one for driving without a license, one for driving without insurance and yet another for driving an unregistered vehicle.

If the vehicle turns out to be stolen they claim they borrowed it from their cousin. They are then turned loose with the handful of citations and a court date.

Since they have no positive form of identification they usually give the police officer a fictitious name. No one shows up to pay the fines.

The vehicle (usually an old clunker) is impounded only to be auctioned off to another illegal, and the cycle starts all over again.

Ironically the one thing that illegals can get is a credit card from the Bank of America, with no social security number needed.

We are at war, Homeland security is spending $7 billion per year to protect us yet the southern border is still wide open.

Should Pedro have a drivers license? Pedro shouldn't even be in this country.

13. Nov 3, 2007 #12

Art

I'm not a fan of Hillary Clinton in the slightest but to be fair on this occasion the question was one of those 'have you stopped beating your wife? Answer yes or no.' type questions.

Her response that lack of activity re illegal immigration at federal level was forcing unpalatable options at the local level was a valid answer IMO.

14. Nov 4, 2007 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That part of the answer was valid, but she refused to give a simple answer to the question: Do you support the governer's plan? That can be answered yes or no with a qualifier, but, like Obama, I had no idea what her answer was after she answered twice.

15. Mar 21, 2008 #14
    Hillary stands for Hillary, of course. From all indications she still has party machine behind her. The Republicans know they are out. It comes down to this: can she keep the support of the machine. Baring a major upset, we all need to learn a few words that go "yes, your highness"

16. Mar 21, 2008 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ivan, if you still haven't understood her stand on the issue of driver's licences, let me paraphrase it for you.

On the issue of driver's licences for illegal immigrants, let me be very clear that I, Hillary Rodham Clinton, am the most qualified candidate to be President on day one.

Capiche?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  17. Mar 21, 2008 #16
    Why is this issue so universally about self deception??? Illegal imigration has nothing at all to do with boarder security from terrorists. Nothing. Don't cloak a dislike of this bloodless invasion by Mexico in the guise of Homeland Security. You don't have to. Just don't say it around the crank liberals.

"We the people," in majority, don't like being invaded by Mexico. It's perfectly reasonable. But it becomes obvious why the Mexican boarder is deliberately a leaky sieve.

Political office is obtained through 1)Votes and 2)The Universal Lubricante$. If you can't work both these angles, you haven't got a job. This is the political reality we face through both parties, like it or not.

Votes are obtained through pandering. Tell your voters what they want to hear. Throw them a bone by spending X billion dollars on a boarder fence. Appear concerned. Make a speech.

But the Lubrication$ is obtained from those who have a vested interest in depressing labor costs. They shall ensure this goofy-eyed fence is ineffective and/or other laws are passed to circumvent the problem.

The invasion is so easily solved by economic counter-strike, not a silly fence. There is simply no intent to solve it.

-decraig
    [A lie told enough times becomes the truth. -Smilin' Joe.]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  18. Mar 22, 2008 #17
    I just bought a sieve, but I had to bring it back to the store because it leaked.

19. Mar 23, 2008 #18
    The national anthem maybe?

Yeah the only reason I can think of to impeach Bush, is for the public good, I don't think that's allowed though. :wink:

I started off being undecided between the two, having seen her recent performances, and gotten some opinions from various knowledgeable people. As a liberal if I could vote it would be without question for Obama. I think Hillary's smear campaigns have actually done more damage to herself, and I also think that supporting a Republican over a Democrat sounds a little absurd. Smear campaigns are part and parcel of politics, it seems as experienced a politician her and her husband are, at least IMO they haven't quite got the smear thing down.

Oddly enough though I wouldn't be too beaten up if Mccain got in, if Hillary keeps going the way she is, he may even slip in under the wire? I do at least agree with him on some of the issues, anyone but Huckabee, sheez?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  20. Mar 23, 2008 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Hillary stands for Hillary and that's about it. She will sling mud and try to make Obama appear unelectable so she can pry away the superdelegates. She's behind in the popular vote and in the pledged delegates, and she will get (and stay) nasty to get her way, despite the damage she might be doing to the Democratic party in the process.

21. Mar 23, 2008 #20
    I agree, I don't see the rationale of: if I'm going down I'm taking you with me though? And to me and most people it seems she's going down.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?