What does it mean if a transformation is 'linear'?

In summary: If the goal is to derive linearity from some well-defined axioms that are motivated by our intuition about physics, I don't think it gets any easier than my post #56 in the other thread. It is however possible to use a different set of axioms.
Nanyang
Many authors seem to start deriving the Lorentz transformations (for a motions only in one direction) by first stating that the transformation equations have to be linear, and I am always lost at this part. What do they mean by that? How does "a uniform rectilinear motion in K must also be uniform and rectilinear in K' " explain that?

Many thanks in advance for the help and apologies if this has been raised many times. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
well, I'm no expert on this but I think I know what it means to be linear, let [itex]x_i (i=0,2,3,4)[/itex] be the space time coordantes, then if the new coordenates are [itex]x^{'}_i[/itex] we have
[tex]x^{'}_i=\sum_k a_{ik}x_k[/tex]
where a_ik do not depend on the space time coordenates.
However I do have a question on the linearity issue and I think I will initiate a thread on that.

facenian is correct, but one can also have a shift in constant, e.g.

[tex]
x\acute{}_i=\sum_k a_{ik}\,x_k \,+ \, b_i
[/tex]

The term linear comes from linear algebra.

A transformation T is called linear if

(1) aT(u) = T(au)

(2) T(u+v) = T(u) + T(v).

Property (1) means that if you double the distance in one frame, then the distance doubles in the other.

Suppose the direction "up" transforms to "north" and "left" translates to "west". Property (2) then says walking up and to the left in one frame is the same as walking north and to the west in the other.

Linearity is very, very useful. It has a powerful synergy with the notion of a vector basis. Linear functions are convenient for calculations, too, because every linear transformation can be thought of as an NxM matrix. To apply a transformation, you simply do matrix multiplication between this matrix and the vector you want.

Thanks for the replies, I think I know what being linear means now. :smile:

However, I still do not understand how does "A uniform and rectilinear motion in K must also be uniform and rectilinear in K' " imply that the transformations are linear. I have read the other thread started by facenian on this issue but is scared away by all the math that I have never seen before. :redface:

So is there a much less mathematical way of putting it, for a 'beginner', without loss of any physics? Or is it like what is claimed in facenian's thread that the statement "A uniform and..." cannot be accounted for this linearity issue and that it was a guess that turned out to be correct?

Last edited:
According to discussions on thread "Question on linearity..." I learned that it is true that there exist transformations that are not linear and preserve uniform an rectlinear motions but it seems that for reasons of smoothness transformations that are no linear mus be descarded. I'm afraid that to understand the details of all this a little math is needed.

Nanyang said:
However, I still do not understand how does "A uniform and rectilinear motion in K must also be uniform and rectilinear in K' " imply that the transformations are linear. I have read the other thread started by facenian on this issue but is scared away by all the math that I have never seen before. :redface:

So is there a much less mathematical way of putting it, for a 'beginner', without loss of any physics?
If the goal is to derive linearity from some well-defined axioms that are motivated by our intuition about physics, I don't think it gets any easier than my post #56 in the other thread. It is however possible to use a different set of axioms. There are other axioms that are just as "intuitive" and in a sense weaker than mine. See e.g. the article that atyy linked to on page 1. (It's a very good article, but it requires a lot of "mathematical maturity", meaning that even though all the information you need is in there, it's still difficult to understand it if you're not used to this way of thinking).

What does it mean if a transformation is 'linear'?

If a transformation is 'linear', it means that the relationship between the input and output variables is directly proportional. This means that as the input variable increases or decreases, the output variable will also increase or decrease by a constant rate.

How is a linear transformation represented mathematically?

A linear transformation is represented mathematically using a linear function, which is in the form of y = mx + b. In this equation, m represents the slope or rate of change, and b represents the y-intercept.

What are the characteristics of a linear transformation?

There are three main characteristics of a linear transformation: additivity, homogeneity, and preserving the origin. Additivity means that the output of a linear transformation of the sum of two inputs is equal to the sum of the individual outputs. Homogeneity means that the output of a linear transformation of a scaled input is equal to the scaled output. Preserving the origin means that the output of a linear transformation of the origin point is equal to the origin point.

How does a linear transformation differ from a non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation differs from a non-linear transformation in that a linear transformation has a constant rate of change, while a non-linear transformation has a variable rate of change. This means that the output of a non-linear transformation will not be directly proportional to the input.

What are some real-world examples of linear transformations?

Some real-world examples of linear transformations include distance and time relationships in physics, the relationship between price and quantity demanded in economics, and the relationship between speed and distance traveled in linear motion. In these examples, the input and output variables have a directly proportional relationship, making them linear transformations.