1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does it mean to determine the precision, expressed as percent

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1
    In my lab class, I needed to find k for a spring in two ways (hanging a mass from a spring & through simple harmonic motion). I've done this and now need to compare the two values - the question asks me to determine "the precision, expressed as a percent" of my measurements for k - I don't understand what this means.

Can someone advise me as to how I can go about determining the precision of a given value & expressing it as a %? Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I think they mean percentage error maybe... one way of doing it is taking +/- 1 of the last digit.

so 125g has a percentage error of [1g/(125g)]*100% = 0.8%

but don't know if this is how you're expected to do it.

4. Nov 7, 2007 #3
    I don't think that's it because they ask me for the percentage error later....they want the "claimed precision expressed as a percent". Thanks anyway.

5. Nov 7, 2007 #4
    Precision is the amount of reproducibility I think, how easy it is to reproduce a particular result. So how close were K values maybe?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?