1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does kinetically favoured mean?

1. Mar 13, 2010 #1
    I had my chem lab, and I know that kinetically favoured is realted to fast reaction and so forth, but I can't just define kinetically favoured. Please help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2
    The easiest thing to do would be to break down the word itself. If something is favored what does it mean? If something is kinetic what does it mean? Then, combine the two definitions.

4. Mar 17, 2010 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think it is rigidly laid down like a law, unit or other definition you have to learn. It just means what it suggests. Particularly contrasted to 'thermodynamically favoured'. E.g. given reactants often produce more than one product. One product might be more stable than another, i.e. thermodynamically favoured, but the path to another might in given conditions be faster so that is what you could get more of and you would call that being kinetically favoured.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook