1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CV (cardiovascular) system and MRI related queries

1. Oct 24, 2016 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi guys,
    I'm an IT student 'and lill favour in my masters research work so please help me to have valid answers for following questions ASAP.
    1. Do patient specific MRI contains the information related to artery sizing (i.e its length and diameter) ???
    2. What are the standard units used to show artery measurements (mm,cm,m) ??
    3. What's the normal size of abdominal aorta and iliac bifurcation in adults ??
    4.How do a cardiologist get blood flow and pressure values of a paitent from MRI scans???

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2016 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

It is hard to give you a correct answer. For example, patients with PAD (Peripheral Artery Disease) flow estimates are based on models, with a range of "normal" values. The images require interpretation.

Instead of a list of questions, if you can tell us what you want to accomplish (testing for PAD, estimate atherosclerotic damage, locate clots, and so on) we can probably come up with a paper that outlines the things you need to know. There are lots of very informed people on PF.

MRI is basically an imaging technique, so are you planning on analyzing image data? I get the impression that you might be underestimating the difficulty of what you appear to want to do. And some of your questions reflect that to me. And I'm definitely NOT trying to stop you, just help you make the scope of your effort workable.

4. Oct 24, 2016 #3
    hello jim ,
    thank you so much for guiding me :)
    i'm working on pulsatile blood flow and there are two things i wanted to know
    1.how do a medical personal (i.e clinician,cardiologiest,radiologiest)analyse MRI scans to get information about patient blood flow rate and pressure.
    2.the flow rate and pressure values in normal and diseased human aorta (abdominal and common aliac).

tell me if still giving an impression of being confused to explain the subject ;)

5. Oct 24, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

We do not do your schoolwork/research for you here. You need to show some of your own efforts to answer these questions. Please post links to the reading you have been doing so far on your schoolwork, and ask specific questions about that reading. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted