What Does Phase Mean in Three Phase Supply?

In summary: This makes three phase more efficient. In summary, three phase supply is a type of power transmission where there are three phases of voltages supplied, 120 degrees apart from each other, which is more efficient than using three independent single phase transmission systems.
ranju
we talk about three phase supply .. I want to know that what actually is three phase..?? Its obvious there are three wires carrying current but what is "phase" ?
Is there something like, transmission line is further divided into three wires ..?? Please explain..its quite basic.. and I am confused..!

Engineering news on Phys.org
ranju said:
we talk about three phase supply .. I want to know that what actually is three phase..?? Its obvious there are three wires carrying current but what is "phase" ?
Is there something like, transmission line is further divided into three wires ..?? Please explain..its quite basic.. and I am confused..!
You are right that it is quite basic and a simple Google search should turn up a good explanation with diagrams. Basically, it means exactly what it says ... there are three phases of voltages supplied, 120 degrees from each other.

ranju said:
the article above should help.

ranju said:

The phase means the angular difference between the sinusoidal voltage on one wire to another. For three phase, the angular difference would be 360/3 = 120 deg. Instead of having three independent single phase transmission system which require (phase + neutral wire for each phase) 2*3 = 6 wires, if we go for three phase system with angular displacement of 120 deg we need only (1 wire for each phase and 1 common neutral) 3+1 = 4 wires for the same power transmission.

Related to What Does Phase Mean in Three Phase Supply?

1. What is three phase supply?

Three phase supply is a type of electrical power transmission that uses three alternating currents with a phase difference of 120 degrees. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings to power large motors and equipment.

2. How is three phase supply different from single phase supply?

In single phase supply, there is only one alternating current, while in three phase supply there are three alternating currents. This allows for a more efficient distribution of power and can handle larger loads.

3. What are the advantages of using three phase supply?

Three phase supply has several advantages over single phase supply, including higher efficiency, the ability to power larger motors and equipment, and a more balanced distribution of power. It also allows for smaller and more cost-effective wiring and equipment.

4. How is three phase supply generated?

Three phase supply is typically generated by rotating machines, such as generators, that produce three alternating currents with a phase difference of 120 degrees. These machines are connected to a power grid and can be synchronized to maintain a constant frequency.

5. What are the common uses of three phase supply?

Three phase supply is commonly used in industrial and commercial settings to power large motors, generators, and other equipment. It is also used in some residential areas for high-power appliances such as air conditioners and electric stoves.