1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does S^1 X S^1 really mean?

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    Torus = S^1 X S^1 but what if someone was only shown S^1 X S^1, what would it mean? Would they intepret it as a torous? I know I wouldn't.

So what is S^1 X S^1 defined as? If you say a torous then what is a torus? Don't just draw a picture.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

S1 is a circle. S1 X S1 is a Cartesian product. I would interpret it as the set of all ordered pairs, each pair being two points on a circle. If I were then to interpret the two points, (p1, p2), as coordinates for a point on a surface- go around a circle to the point given by p1, then at right angles around a circle to the point given by p2- yes, that would look like a torus to me.

What is a torus without drawing a picture? A torus is a doughnut, of course- a glazed doughnut just out of the frier! Yum! (One good bite and it is homeomorphic to a ball.)

4. Nov 4, 2007 #3
    I think I see. RXR is the plane. S^1XS^1 does map out a torus which clearly is a surface with an empty inside. Take a bite and it is homeomorphic to a cylinder, not a ball!?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?