Does ##\mathbb{S}^1## embed in ##\mathbb{R}##?

• I
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
In summary: I think.The function has a critical point at the top of the circle. Does it mean that we can't embed the circle in ##\mathbb{R}## because the derivative is zero there? Or is it because the derivative map is not injective on a neighborhood of the critical point?In summary, Whitney's theorem states that an m-dimensional manifold can be embedded in ##\mathbb{R}^{2m}##, but it does not guarantee embedding in ##\mathbb{R}^n## for ##n <2m##. The question arises whether the circle, a one-dimensional manifold, can be embedded in ##\mathbb{R}##.
kent davidge
Whitney's theorem tell us that a m-dimensional manifold embedds in ##\mathbb{R}^{2m}##, but does not tells us if it embedds in ##\mathbb{R}^n, n < 2m##. In special, I wanted to know whether the circle embedds in ##\mathbb{R}##. For this, I tried constructing a function ##f: \mathbb{S}^1 \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}## given by ##f(\cos\theta, \sin\theta) = \theta## for ##(\cos\theta, \sin\theta) \in \mathbb{S}^1##. The image is ##f(\mathbb{S}^1) = (0, 2 \pi]## if ##\mathbb{S}^1## is defined as usual as a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^2## with ##\theta## on that interval.

Such function ##f## seems to be the more natural mapping I can think of, for its inverse is how ##\mathbb{S}^1## is typically defined. The problem is that ##(0, 2 \pi]## is not open in ##\mathbb{R}## (usual topology) whereas ##\mathbb{S}^1## is open in itself (subspace topology). So should I conclude that ##\mathbb{S}^1## does not embedd in ##\mathbb{R}##?

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you call an embedding. It's certainly not continuous at ##\theta =0##, for you have to cut the circle. This changes its topological properties like genus. All you have is a function of sets: ##\,\mathbb{S}^1 \leftrightarrows (0,2\pi] \hookrightarrow \mathbb{R}##.

fresh_42 said:
It's certainly not continuous at ##\theta =0##, for you have to cut the circle
I'm considering the circle as being all ##(\cos\theta, \sin\theta) \in \mathbb{R}^2## with ##\theta \in (0,2 \pi]##. So the very definition doesn't include ##\theta = 0##. Do we still need to cut the circle?
fresh_42 said:
It depends on what you call an embedding
I'm using the one here http://schapos.people.uic.edu/MATH549_Fall2015_files/Survey Paul.pdf
It's right below the figure of the Klein Bottle, "Topological Embedding".

How do you distinguish between ##\mathbb{S}^1## and ##(0,2\pi]##, i.e. what makes it a circle? If you simply define the circle by its angle, without matching the boundaries, then you have the same topological space. If we identify the boundaries, then approaching from left gives a different result than approaching from right.

fresh_42 said:
How do you distinguish between ##\mathbb{S}^1## and ##(0,2\pi]##, i.e. what makes it a circle? If you simply define the circle by its angle
I'm not defining it as the interval ##(0,2\pi]##, rather
kent davidge said:
I'm considering the circle as being all ##(\cos\theta, \sin\theta) \in \mathbb{R}^2## with ##\theta \in (0,2 \pi]##

So it is already embedded in the plane equipped with the subspace topology?

Let me write open intervals as ##(a,b) = ]\,a,b\,[## to avoid confusion with the points in ##\mathbb{R}^2##.

Now a function ##f : \mathbb{S}^1 \longrightarrow ]\,0,2\pi\,]## is continuous at ##x=(1,0)=(\cos 0,\sin 0)##, if for every neighborhood ##V## of ##f((1,0))## there is a neighborhood ##U## of ##(1,0)## with ##f(U)\subseteq V##. The neighborhoods ##U## are all of the form ##U=]\,(\cos(- \varepsilon), \sin(-\varepsilon))\,,\,(\cos(\varepsilon), \sin(\varepsilon))\,[##. Let's take ##V=]\,-\varepsilon,2\pi\,]=]\,2\pi -\varepsilon , 2\pi\,]## as neighborhood of ##f((1,0))=2\pi \in (0,2\pi]##. Then all ##f(U)= ]\,0,\varepsilon\,[ \,\cup \,]\,2\pi-\varepsilon ,2\pi\,] \nsubseteq V\,.##

Likes kent davidge
This was very clarifying.

I went through a similar reasoning before the opening post, but I would define the neighborhood of ##(1,0)##
as ##U = \ ](\cos\epsilon,\sin\epsilon), (1,0)]##, in which case ##f(U) = \ ]\epsilon, 2\pi] \subseteq V## and the conclusion would be of continuity of ##f## at ##(1,0)##. Could you point to me where I'm going wrong with this reasoning?

Oh, never mind. I realized that there are points to the right of ##(1,0)##, which means one neighborhood of it would be of the form you said earlier. Then ##f(U)## is not in ##V##. So our conclusion is that there cannot be an embedding because the mapping is not continuous, correct?

Yes, it's not continuous, unless we change the topologies, but then the statement loses its meaning. Or we could compactify ##]0,2\pi]## by identifying its ends, but then we have a circle again, just with two different representations: points or angles.

##\mathbb{S}^1## is the projective real line ##\mathbb{P}(1,\mathbb{R})## where the points at infinity are identified.

Likes atyy and kent davidge
the circle is connected and compact so it image in R under any continuous function is a closed bounded interval. If the map were an embedding, or just injective, it would be a homeomorphism onto this interval, but an interval can be disconnected by removing one point, while the circle cannot. hence no continuous map S^1-->R is an embedding.

Likes atyy
kent davidge said:
Whitney's theorem tell us that a m-dimensional manifold embedds in ##\mathbb{R}^{2m}##, but does not tells us if it embedds in ##\mathbb{R}^n, n < 2m##. In special, I wanted to know whether the circle embedds in ##\mathbb{R}##. For this, I tried constructing a function ##f: \mathbb{S}^1 \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}## given by ##f(\cos\theta, \sin\theta) = \theta## for ##(\cos\theta, \sin\theta) \in \mathbb{S}^1##. The image is ##f(\mathbb{S}^1) = (0, 2 \pi]## if ##\mathbb{S}^1## is defined as usual as a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^2## with ##\theta## on that interval.

Such function ##f## seems to be the more natural mapping I can think of, for its inverse is how ##\mathbb{S}^1## is typically defined. The problem is that ##(0, 2 \pi]## is not open in ##\mathbb{R}## (usual topology) whereas ##\mathbb{S}^1## is open in itself (subspace topology). So should I conclude that ##\mathbb{S}^1## does not embedd in ##\mathbb{R}##?

Whitney's Theorem is about smooth embeddings of smooth manifolds in Euclidean space. A smooth embedding by definition has no singularities. For an embedding into ##R## this means that the function's derivative is nowhere zero.

A function from the circle into ##R## must have a maximum and a minimum - because the circle is compact - and at these points the function's derivative is zero.

Also, at these points the derivative reverses sign so the function is not 1-1 in neighborhood of the critical points.

- More generally one can not embed a compact n-manifold in ##R^{n}##. Any n- dimensional submanifold of ##R^{n}## must be an open set since each point has an open neighborhood that is homeomorphic to an open n dimensional ball.

Last edited:
Likes kent davidge
lavinia said:
Whitney's Theorem is about smooth embeddings of smooth manifolds in Euclidean space
Thanks for pointing this out
lavinia said:
For an embedding into ##R## this means that the function's derivative is nowhere zero
...because otherwise the derivative map would not be injective?

kent davidge said:
Thanks for pointing this out

...because otherwise the derivative map would not be injective?

Yes. An embedding is a difeomorphisrm so the derivative map must be an isomorphism on each tangent plane.

Likes kent davidge

1. Can the circle ##\mathbb{S}^1## be embedded in the real line ##\mathbb{R}##?

Yes, the circle can be embedded in the real line. This is because the real line is infinite and continuous, allowing for a smooth embedding of the circle.

2. What is an embedding?

An embedding is a mathematical concept that describes a way of representing one mathematical object within another. In the case of ##\mathbb{S}^1## embedding in ##\mathbb{R}##, it means finding a way to map the points on the circle onto points on the real line in a continuous and one-to-one manner.

3. How is the circle embedded in the real line?

The circle is embedded in the real line by using a function called a parametrization. This function takes points on the circle and maps them onto points on the real line in a continuous and one-to-one manner.

4. Are there different ways to embed the circle in the real line?

Yes, there are infinitely many ways to embed the circle in the real line. This is because there are infinitely many parametrizations that can be used to map the points on the circle onto the real line.

5. Why is it important to study embeddings of the circle in the real line?

Studying embeddings of the circle in the real line can provide insights into more complex mathematical objects and their relationships. It also has applications in various fields such as topology, geometry, and physics.