1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Index numbers vs. Quantity in a group

Tags:
  1. Oct 13, 2017 #1
    "Quantity in a group"
    If you have 6 apples and you subtract 4, then you have 2 apples left "in the group".

"Quantity in an Indexed group"
    I'm a computer programmer - I manipulate arrays of data (a.k.a. matrix)
    In a math formula format: x1, x2, x3... xn
    (as a side note - in a computer format: x[0], x[1], x[2]... x[n-1])
    If I want the "quantity" from 6 to 4, then I always have to add 1 (6-4=2, 2+1=3 quantity)
    Quantity of 3: x4, x5, x6

Surprisingly, I was never taught this in grade school or high school.
    Not to mention I always thought it had to do with the fact that a computer's array starts with index 0: x[0]
    (It doesn't, although that fact adds confusion when turning math formulas into code)

My question is: Does this "add 1" scenario have a mathematical name?
    (I've been trying to Google about it to add a note/comment to my code to explain "+1" without sounding stupid)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The closest I can come up with for a name is when you miscount -- a "fence-post" error. The number of elements in the range ##x_m## through ##x_n##, inclusive, with ##n \ge m##, is n - m + 1. For example, the number of elements in the range ##x_3## through ##x_7##, again inclusive, is 7 - 3 + 1 = 5. They are ##x_3, x_4, x_5, x_6, x_7##. This type of counting typically isn't taught in grade school or high school (that I am aware of), but it is taught in basic computer science classes, or possibly in probability and statistics courses.

4. Oct 13, 2017 #3
    Wow, perfect. I learned something new today.

Wikipedia has it described under: Off-by-one error (OBOE)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-by-one_error
    Thanks Mark

5. Oct 13, 2017 #4
    Wow again...
    This also explains the age-old problem/confusion with year/century (e.g. the 1900's is the 20th century).
    Cool man.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted