Index numbers vs. Quantity in a group

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantity in a group and an indexed group, with an explanation of why adding 1 is necessary in certain situations. The scenario is referred to as a "fence-post" error, also known as an "off-by-one" error, and can be seen in various fields such as computer science and mathematics.
1plus1is10
"Quantity in a group"
If you have 6 apples and you subtract 4, then you have 2 apples left "in the group".

"Quantity in an Indexed group"
I'm a computer programmer - I manipulate arrays of data (a.k.a. matrix)
In a math formula format: x1, x2, x3... xn
(as a side note - in a computer format: x[0], x[1], x[2]... x[n-1])
If I want the "quantity" from 6 to 4, then I always have to add 1 (6-4=2, 2+1=3 quantity)
Quantity of 3: x4, x5, x6

Surprisingly, I was never taught this in grade school or high school.
Not to mention I always thought it had to do with the fact that a computer's array starts with index 0: x[0]
(It doesn't, although that fact adds confusion when turning math formulas into code)

My question is: Does this "add 1" scenario have a mathematical name?
(I've been trying to Google about it to add a note/comment to my code to explain "+1" without sounding stupid)

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1plus1is10 said:
"Quantity in a group"
If you have 6 apples and you subtract 4, then you have 2 apples left "in the group".

"Quantity in an Indexed group"
I'm a computer programmer - I manipulate arrays of data (a.k.a. matrix)
In a math formula format: x1, x2, x3... xn
(as a side note - in a computer format: x[0], x[1], x[2]... x[n-1])
If I want the "quantity" from 6 to 4, then I always have to add 1 (6-4=2, 2+1=3 quantity)
Quantity of 3: x4, x5, x6

Surprisingly, I was never taught this in grade school or high school.
Not to mention I always thought it had to do with the fact that a computer's array starts with index 0: x[0]
(It doesn't, although that fact adds confusion when turning math formulas into code)

My question is: Does this "add 1" scenario have a mathematical name?
(I've been trying to Google about it to add a note/comment to my code to explain "+1" without sounding stupid)

Thanks
The closest I can come up with for a name is when you miscount -- a "fence-post" error. The number of elements in the range ##x_m## through ##x_n##, inclusive, with ##n \ge m##, is n - m + 1. For example, the number of elements in the range ##x_3## through ##x_7##, again inclusive, is 7 - 3 + 1 = 5. They are ##x_3, x_4, x_5, x_6, x_7##. This type of counting typically isn't taught in grade school or high school (that I am aware of), but it is taught in basic computer science classes, or possibly in probability and statistics courses.

Likes jbriggs444 and 1plus1is10
Mark44 said:
"fence-post" error
Wow, perfect. I learned something new today.

Wikipedia has it described under: Off-by-one error (OBOE)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-by-one_error
Thanks Mark

Wow again...
This also explains the age-old problem/confusion with year/century (e.g. the 1900's is the 20th century).
Cool man.

1. What is the purpose of using index numbers compared to using quantity in a group?

Index numbers are used to track changes in a variable over time, while quantity in a group refers to the actual number of items in a group. Index numbers allow for easier comparison and analysis of trends, as they take into account any changes in price or value.

2. How are index numbers and quantity in a group related?

Index numbers and quantity in a group are related in that index numbers use quantity in a group as one of the factors in their calculation. However, index numbers also take into account changes in price or value, while quantity in a group only reflects the number of items in a group.

3. Can index numbers be used to compare data from different time periods?

Yes, index numbers can be used to compare data from different time periods. This is because index numbers take into account changes in price or value, which allows for a more accurate comparison between different time periods.

4. Why is it important to use index numbers instead of quantity in a group for certain analyses?

Index numbers are important to use for certain analyses because they provide a more accurate representation of changes over time. Quantity in a group can be affected by changes in price or value, which can skew the data and make it difficult to compare between different time periods.

5. Are there any limitations to using index numbers compared to quantity in a group?

One limitation of using index numbers is that they may not accurately reflect the true changes in a variable, as they are based on a fixed base period. Additionally, index numbers can be affected by outliers or extreme values, which may not be representative of the overall data. Quantity in a group may be a more accurate representation in these cases.