What does the magnetic field look like in a torroidal coil?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Driftwood1
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
The magnetic field within a torroidal shaped coil is well understood.

In a standard cyclindrically shaped coil there are magnetic field lines that along the axis of the coil and continue outside the coil and bend around to eventually join the other side of the coil.

If we were to bend this coil, what do the magentic field lines look like as the coil in bent closer and closer towards a torroidal or donut shape?

I am interested in the magentic field shape and intensity outside the boundaries of the coil. That is in the central space of the torroid and also outside the coil.

Any suggestions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am a plasma scientist, so I know quite a bit about magnetic fields. What you wish to know is a tokamak style magnetic field. You get a magnetic field that are field lines inside the torus spinning in uniform directing.
 
Mattenerinfo said:
I am a plasma scientist, so I know quite a bit about magnetic fields. What you wish to know is a tokamak style magnetic field. You get a magnetic field that are field lines inside the torus spinning in uniform directing.

When you say INSIDE the torrus I assume you mean within the coil boundaries?

My query relates to the shape and intenisty of the magnetic field outside the torroidal coil - in the central region and outside the coil going off to infinity.

Can you assist here?

I will look up Tokamak magnetic field - thanks for that

(I have also looked up polloidal fields which are also interesting)