What does the + next to my name mean?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
In summary: :tongue: competition!Whatever happened to your imaginary friend, Redrum?He's busy falling on ice and injuring himself, he likes to keep up with me. :rofl: He also moved into a new office Monday, but he doesn't have a pillar. I got him to show up in chat 2 weeks ago for a short time. I have never known anyone as busy as he is and still manages to stay out until after 5am at least twice a week at the local pub. It's hysterical, the other morning, they all took a cab home and left their bicycles because they decided they had had too much cheer to peddle home.I really do need to do something atro
Simfish
Gold Member
Currently Active Users
17 (1 members & 16 guests)
Simfish+

on that list?

Physics news on Phys.org
It means you're on your own buddy list.

Simfish said:
)
Simfish+

on that list?

It means that at least one person here likes you (even if it's just you). :tongue:

That is so cool, I count as my own friend! Maybe an onlooker will see it and think I have a friend other than myself!

I don't like myself. I'm on my ignore list. :frown:

Math Is Hard said:
I don't like myself. I'm on my ignore list. :frown:

You're on everyone elses buddy list though.

Does the buddy list actually do anything besides put a + next to the person's name? I've tried it and it doesn't appear to serve any purpose.

Evo said:
Does the buddy list actually do anything besides put a + next to the person's name? I've tried it and it doesn't appear to serve any purpose.

There was a thread in GD about this. The only reason I could come up with is if you block PM's from everyone but your buddies (and mentors of course).

Do PM's from someone marked as a buddy get through the block?

Evo said:
Do PM's from someone marked as a buddy get through the block?

Yes, I just checked in User CP > Edit options and the check box is tagged "Receive Private Messages only from Buddies and Moderators"

The following text is above the check box:

You may limit the receipt of private messages to just moderators and those on your buddy list. Other members who attempt to send messages to you will be told that you have disabled private messaging.

Aha, I hadn't looked at that page in ages.

Evo is that painting in your display picture you? I have never know but always wanted to know...:shy:

Math is hard, you have a new buddy friend! I kinda needed one just to have more than one. :smile:

No, it's a painting by Waterhouse of "The lady of Shalott", a poem by Tennyson.

Nice, there's something about that picture that I like, I don't know what it is though =/

_Mayday_ said:
Nice, there's something about that picture that I like, I don't know what it is though =/
It looks a lot like me when I was young, even the length of the hair.

evo - floating to your "doom" in the boat amidst the flowers. You look great for someone who was around in 1888. :smile:

I have almost every Waterhouse there is a print for. My wife Rosie mounted several.
Waterhouse did the Ladies. The 1888 boat and 1894 'looking at Lancelot', the 1915 'shadows' We have shadows in our bedroom, along with 'La belle dame sans merci'.

You can look at the work here - down at the bottom there is a pull-down box to get access to most of his work:
http://www.jwwaterhouse.com/view.cfm?recordid=20

jim mcnamara said:
evo - floating to your "doom" in the boat amidst the flowers. You look great for someone who was around in 1888. :smile:
Funny, I was about to say that I am almost old enough to have posed for it. :biggrin:

^ Same wavelength probably 90 degress out of phase, I can't be certain though.

We've gone thru phase changes - that's for sure...

We are so good at this wave stuff!

Kurdt said:
You're on everyone elses buddy list though.

_Mayday_ said:
Math is hard, you have a new buddy friend! I kinda needed one just to have more than one. :smile:

Hey, thanks! :smile:

You are much better than my last buddies. No one could see them but me. :redface:

invisible-buddy-739306.jpg

I want a buddy.

Evo said:
I want a buddy.

I'll be your buddy. I'll even send you Christmas lights to decorate your pillar.

Whatever happened to your imaginary friend, Redrum?

Evo said:
I want a buddy.

You can add anyone you like, including yourself as a buddy. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
I'll be your buddy. I'll even send you Christmas lights to decorate your pillar.
Thanks MIH! You're the best! Buddy! :!)

Whatever happened to your imaginary friend, Redrum?
He's busy falling on ice and injuring himself, he likes to keep up with me. :rofl: He also moved into a new office Monday, but he doesn't have a pillar. I got him to show up in chat 2 weeks ago for a short time. I have never known anyone as busy as he is and still manages to stay out until after 5am at least twice a week at the local pub. It's hysterical, the other morning, they all took a cab home and left their bicycles because they decided they had had too much cheer to peddle home.

I really do need to do something atrocious to that pillar. My boss did say that I could decorate it. :devil: Maybe a glowing cat themed pillar? Or maybe I will cover it with the three-legged chihuahua lisab drew, that was a great picture.

Ooooh, maybe we can have a pillar decorating contest?

Last edited:
Evo said:
I really do need to do something atrocious to that pillar. My boss did say that I could decorate it. :devil:

I think you should plaster it with Dilbert cartoons. It seems like the most appropriate theme to celebrate its relationship to the status of your desk.

OK, Evo -- how about this: I think it would be cool to turn the pillar into a mini Starbucks kiosk. You could hollow it out and paint it green, then put in a sliding window. Next, put in a barrista, an expresso machine, and a blender. Add logo for the final touch.

See, then you won't be the poor person who got a pillar in her office. You'll be like - the LUCKY person who (WOW!) got a Starbucks in her office. Then everybody will want to trade you. So you cut a deal, then you pack up the blender, expresso machine, and the Evo-child (who was pretending to be the barrista) and move to your new office! :cool:

Last edited:
How about a poster of a desk with some stuff on the desk.

Math Is Hard said:
OK, Evo -- how about this: I think it would be cool to turn the pillar into a mini Starbucks kiosk. You could hollow it out and paint it green, then put in a sliding window. Next, put in a barrista, an expresso machine, and a blender. Add logo for the final touch.

See, then you won't be the poor person who got a pillar in her office. You'll be like - the LUCKY person who (WOW!) got a Starbucks in her office. Then everybody will want to trade you. So you cut a deal, then you pack up the blender, expresso machine, and the Evo-child (who was pretending to be the barrista) and move to your new office! :cool:

:rofl:

Kurdt said:

Ooh, or how about a poster of someone weilding a chainsaw!

Kurdt said:

Clever. :smile:

Moonbear said:
Ooh, or how about a poster of someone weilding a chainsaw!

Subtle. :wink:

I could swear I saw a thermostat attached to that pillar. Does that mean Evo gets control over the office temperature? Could be a good bargaining chip.

Math Is Hard said:
Clever. :smile:
Maybe a lifesize photo of me working at my desk.

I could swear I saw a thermostat attached to that pillar. Does that mean Evo gets control over the office temperature? Could be a good bargaining chip.
Very observant, there are two settings cool and warm. Muwahahahaha. I can drive all these finicky women nuts, wearing sweaters when it's 80 degrees and claiming it's cold. :grumpy: Wear a coat!

1. What does the + next to my name mean?

The + next to your name indicates that you have been verified or recognized as an expert in your field. This can be through a certification, degree, or significant contributions to the scientific community.

2. How do I get the + next to my name?

The process for getting a + next to your name varies depending on the platform or organization. Some may require proof of credentials or a nomination from peers. Others may have a specific application process. It is best to check with the platform or organization for their specific requirements.

3. Does the + next to my name mean I am the most qualified in my field?

Not necessarily. The + next to your name simply means that you have been recognized or verified in your field. There may be other individuals with the same qualifications or level of expertise who have not yet been verified.

4. Can I lose the + next to my name?

It is possible to lose the + next to your name if you no longer meet the qualifications or standards set by the platform or organization. This could happen if your credentials expire or if you are found to have misrepresented your qualifications.

5. Is the + next to my name important?

The importance of the + next to your name depends on the context and purpose. In some cases, it may be important for establishing credibility and expertise. However, in other cases, it may not hold much significance. It is always best to evaluate the specific platform or organization to determine the importance of the + next to your name.