1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does this - ^ mean when it is over a value?

1. May 29, 2010 #1
    What does this -- "^" mean when it is over a value?

The equation for an electric field is E = 1/4pie(epsilon) * Q/r^2 *(^r" I do not know how to put the roof over the r so i put it right next to it")

What does this value mean because I have also seen it occur with distance. It seems to me like it does nothing for the final answer. What does it do?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: What does this -- "^" mean when it is over a value?

The hat is a kind of decoration to put on symbols -- it's just another way to vary a symbol, like varying the font or the case or the language.

One common use for the hat is to indicate the variable represents a unit vector, specifically the normalization of the ordinary vector represented by the same base letter.

4. May 29, 2010 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: What does this -- "^" mean when it is over a value?

[tex]\mathbf E = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0}\,\frac Q{r^2}\hat{\mathbf r}[/tex]

The electric field is a vector field rather than a scalar field. All of the terms on the right hand side except the final [itex]\hat{\mathbf r}[/itex] are scalars. That final [itex]\hat{\mathbf r}[/itex] is a unit vector that points away from the central charge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook