Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does this - ^ mean when it is over a value?

1. May 29, 2010 #1
    What does this -- "^" mean when it is over a value?

The equation for an electric field is E = 1/4pie(epsilon) * Q/r^2 *(^r" I do not know how to put the roof over the r so i put it right next to it")

What does this value mean because I have also seen it occur with distance. It seems to me like it does nothing for the final answer. What does it do?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: What does this -- "^" mean when it is over a value?

The hat is a kind of decoration to put on symbols -- it's just another way to vary a symbol, like varying the font or the case or the language.

One common use for the hat is to indicate the variable represents a unit vector, specifically the normalization of the ordinary vector represented by the same base letter.

4. May 29, 2010 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: What does this -- "^" mean when it is over a value?

[tex]\mathbf E = \frac 1 {4\pi\epsilon_0}\,\frac Q{r^2}\hat{\mathbf r}[/tex]

The electric field is a vector field rather than a scalar field. All of the terms on the right hand side except the final [itex]\hat{\mathbf r}[/itex] are scalars. That final [itex]\hat{\mathbf r}[/itex] is a unit vector that points away from the central charge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook