1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does this opamp configuration do?

1. May 31, 2013 #1

dla

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Trying to figure out what this opamp does but can't pinpoint it.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The one with the capacitor looks like an integrator. I attempted to build this circuit to see what it does. At node B I saw a triangle repeating waveform, node A gives a square oscillating waveform and C is some sort of horizontally flipped RC curve which can been seen with the file I attached. Anyone have any idea the name of this circuit?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: The word you are looking for begins with an "O" and is used to describe a family of systems including a pendulum.

4. May 31, 2013 #3

dla

I'm still quite not sure.. The only thing that comes to mind is an oscillator?

5. May 31, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oscillator will do :-)

I suppose "Triangle Wave Oscillator" or "Hysteretic Oscillator" or "Relaxation Oscillator" might get you another half mark.

The right hand op-amp is indeed an inverting integrator. It integrates the "constant" output of the left hand op-amp.

The left hand op-amp is configured as a comparator (with hysteresis) and it's output is a "constant" VCC or -VCC.

You can actually make one by merging the functions each op-amp performs into one op-amp. See wikipedia for that..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relaxa...2.80.93based_electronic_relaxation_oscillator

6. Jun 1, 2013 #5

dla

Perfect explanation, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted