CMRR in open loop and closed loop configuration of opamp

In summary: Thank you for your suggestion! I will definitely check it out.In summary, the CMRR of an op-amp can be calculated with either open-loop or closed-loop gains, depending on the circuit configuration. To be honest, so far I don’t seem to be sure what the crux of the problem you want to discuss is.But based on the CMRR-related content described in your first post, I believe the following article may be helpful to you. If you can fully understand the content of this article, including the equations mentioned, then your doubts may be solved.Thank you for your suggestion! I will definitely check it out.
anubhavsingh
del5.JPG

For an opamp in open look configuration,
del3.JPG

1636817177569.png

Here Ad should be equal to open loop gain of opamp and

1636817202459.png

Now consider the closed loop config of opamp (negative feedback used):

del4.JPG

1636817246625.png

However, Ad is closed loop gain here (according to Sedra Smith) and
1636817281625.png

In terms of open loop gain,
1636817013666.png

A is open loop gain here.

So Adm is open loop gain in the first case and Adm is closed loop gain in the second case. How to know which gain to use in CMRR?

Reference: Microelectronic Circuits (Seventh Edition) by Sedra Smith

Attachments

• 1636817120452.png
    1636817120452.png
    1 KB · Views: 101
  • 1636817162806.png
    1636817162806.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 88
Engineering news on Phys.org
anubhavsingh said:
How to know which gain to use in CMRR?
An op-amp is operated with negative feedback to maintain a low differential input voltage. An op-amp is NOT designed to be used as an open loop voltage comparator.

anubhavsingh said:
So Adm is open loop gain in the first case and Adm is closed loop gain in the second case. How to know which gain to use in CMRR?

Sorry, I am a little confused and incomprehensible about your question.

You have proposed two different circuits, one is an open-loop amplifier and the other is a closed-loop amplifier, and you mentioned their respective voltage gains. If I understand correctly, your question is whether you should use open-loop voltage gain or closed-loop voltage gain to calculate their respective CMRR.

If you think in accordance with the general logic, isn't this thing relatively simple?

So my understanding is of course that the CMRR of the open-loop amplifier should be calculated with the corresponding open-loop gains, and the CMRR of the closed-loop amplifier should be calculated with the corresponding closed-loop gains. :smile:🐻

alan123hk said:
Sorry, I am a little confused and incomprehensible about your question.

You have proposed two different circuits, one is an open-loop amplifier and the other is a closed-loop amplifier, and you mentioned their respective voltage gains. If I understand correctly, your question is whether you should use open-loop voltage gain or closed-loop voltage gain to calculate their respective CMRR.

If you think in accordance with the general logic, isn't this thing relatively simple?

So my understanding is of course that the CMRR of the open-loop amplifier should be calculated with the corresponding open-loop gains, and the CMRR of the closed-loop amplifier should be calculated with the corresponding closed-loop gains. :smile:🐻
Yes, but why is that? Why can's the meaning of differential gain remains consistent whether the opamp is open loop or closed loop. Why should in closed loop configuration, the differential gain should not refer to the open loop gain of opamp as in open loop configuration? Just looks ambiguous to me.

anubhavsingh said:
Yes, but why is that? Why can's the meaning of differential gain remains consistent whether the opamp is open loop or closed loop. Why should in closed loop configuration, the differential gain should not refer to the open loop gain of opamp as in open loop configuration? Just looks ambiguous to me.
Try this site, it describes/explains some of the details you are asking about.
https://www.electronics-notes.com/a...erational-amplifier-op-amp/gain-equations.php

Cheers,
Tom

anubhavsingh said:

To be honest, so far I don’t seem to be sure what the crux of the problem you want to discuss is.
But based on the CMRR-related content described in your first post, I believe the following article may be helpful to you. If you can fully understand the content of this article, including the equations mentioned, then your doubts may be solved.

https://www.analog.com/media/en/training-seminars/tutorials/MT-042.pdf

1. What is CMRR in the context of opamps?

CMRR stands for Common Mode Rejection Ratio. It is a measure of an opamp's ability to reject common mode signals, which are signals that are present on both input terminals of the opamp.

2. How is CMRR calculated for opamps in open loop configuration?

In open loop configuration, CMRR is calculated by taking the ratio of the differential gain (the gain from the non-inverting input to the output) to the common mode gain (the gain from the inverting input to the output).

3. What is the typical CMRR value for opamps in open loop configuration?

The typical CMRR value for opamps in open loop configuration is around 100 dB, or 100,000. This means that the opamp can reject common mode signals by a factor of 100,000.

4. How does CMRR differ in open loop and closed loop configurations?

In closed loop configuration, the feedback network helps to reduce the effect of common mode signals, resulting in a higher CMRR compared to open loop configuration. This is because the feedback network actively works to cancel out any common mode signals present at the input.

5. What happens if an opamp has a low CMRR?

If an opamp has a low CMRR, it means that it is not able to reject common mode signals effectively. This can lead to errors in the output signal and affect the overall performance of the opamp in certain applications.