Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What does total number of atomic sites mean ?

1. Mar 30, 2016 #1
    i know this might seem as a very simple question , but i am confused :
    in order to calculate the total number of vacancies we need the total number of atomic sites N , and since N depends on the density of the material , then N refers to the number of atoms , right ? what confuses me is the word site , because it implies :(the total number of atoms + number of vacancies) .
    so my question is : does the total number of sites include vacancies ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2016 #2
    pl. give the context in which you are looking at the vacancies.

If you are analysing defects in crystal's structure - vacancies are separately counted - and N represents the total no. of sites where defects can have potential role and its counted as number of lattice sites where atom can be placed - its the fraction N(D)/N which is measured.
    N is also named as Potential defect sites. so if you take the total no. of lattice sites it serves the purpose.

4. Mar 30, 2016 #3
    Thank you so much , I reread your replie so many times and you explained it so clearly , thank you .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted