1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does "vertical plane" mean in physics?

1. Sep 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem states a situtation where two hoops, their centers, and a launch site are all in the same vertical plane. The objective is to launch a tennis ball into both hoops from the launch site. What does it means when it says "vertical plane"? The launch site is not directly beneath the hoops because the question mentions a unique horizontal distance from each hoop to the launch site.

2. Relevant equations
    xf=xi+a*t
    yf=yi+vi*t+.5*a*t^2
    3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2015 #2
    Try drawing a picture. I would interpret as, "There exists a vertical plane in which these things exist."

4. Sep 4, 2015 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

It's saying that the situation is two-dimensional, with a vertical coordinate and a horizontal coordinate.

5. Sep 4, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'd like to see the exact wording. I can make sense of it if the centres of the hoops and the launch point are in the same vertical plane.... but not the hoops themselves.

6. Sep 4, 2015 #5
    What does vertical plane mean? I drew a picture, but I don't understand how the launch site and hoops be in the same vertical plane and be different horizontal distances from eachother.

7. Sep 4, 2015 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not from each other.

The horizontal distance from the launch site to one of the loops, is different than from the launch site to the other hoop.

8. Sep 4, 2015 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you put three pencil marks on a wall they will be "in the same vertical plane" (the plane of the wall). They can also be at "different horizontal distances from each other" (Unless you put the marks on top of each other).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted