What downloads are required to work with Python?

In summary: I use Notepad++ to write my programs. It has many sophisticated capabilites, e.g. global search and replace on multiple files, that don't get in the way if you don't call them up, but are great to have when you need them.
starstruck_
Hey everyone!

This might be a bit of a dumb question, but I'm not familiar with much in the programming world. I know a few languages that I've learned on my own (online) or through a course in school (MATLAB). When it comes down to coding outside of MATLAB or a website, I'm not sure where to begin.

For the research that I am starting this summer, I require python, and I know the language, however I learned python online. When it comes down to coding in python outside of those websites, I'm not sure where to begin.

What do I need to download? What is an IDE? What is a text editor? and how do I use these components or any other things I may need, together to make something out of the coding that I do?

I wish I could be more specific, however, I'm not really even sure what I don't know, so this is a little hard for me at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
starstruck_ said:
What do I need to download? What is an IDE? What is a text editor? and how do I use these components or any other things I may need, together to make something out of the coding that I do?
Go to http://www.python.org and click the Downloads button. That will take you to a page where you can decide which release you want, and for which OS -- Windows, Unix/Linix, MacOS. When you download one of these packages, you will also get some very useful documentation (in a directory named Doc). It shows you how to set things up and how to run python commands one at a time or in a file containing a complete program.

An IDE is the acronym for Integrated Development Environment. It includes an application that let's you create and edit python programs, and debug and run them. A text editor is a program that let's you create and edit (modify) text files. An IDE isn't necessary, but it's a convenience. In my case, I don't use an IDE at all -- I write my programs using Windows NotePad, and then open a command prompt window to run them. Any text editor would also work, but word processing apps such as Word or similar programs insert more than just the text you type, so probably wouldn't work.

I also use the primitive debugger that comes with python. I've written two Insights articles at this site, https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/simple-python-debugging-pdb-part-1/ and https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/simple-python-debugging-pdb-part-2/. Maybe I should write one that describes what I do to create simple python programs.

Likes sysprog, FactChecker and berkeman
I think that you will be happiest as a beginner if you download the standard package from python.org and try to use that. It will be easiest to get help from forums and the components should be well integrated. That will take good care of you. After you have gained a lot of experience, you will probably have developed your own preferences and can use other products.

Likes Mark44
Mark44 said:
-- I write my programs using Windows NotePad, and then open a command prompt window to run them.
Notepad++, is an excellent free (open source GNU license) editor, with many advantages over Notepad. Please give it a try. It can be downloaded here: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.6.6.html -- a direct link to download the 32-bt version Windows installer is here: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/repository/7.x/7.6.6/npp.7.6.6.Installer.exe

The 32-bit version has more available plugins, and is the default, but there's also a 64 bit version.

Without any plugins, it has many sophisticated capabilites, e.g. global search and replace on multiple files, that don't get in the way if you don't call them up, but are great to have when you need them.

Last edited:

1. What is Python and why is it used for scientific research?

Python is an open-source, high-level programming language that is widely used in scientific research. It is known for its simplicity, readability, and versatility, making it a popular choice for data analysis, machine learning, and other scientific applications. Its large and active community also provides a vast collection of libraries and packages for various scientific tasks.

2. What downloads are required to install Python?

The basic downloads required to install Python include the Python interpreter, which is the core of the language, and the pip package manager, which allows you to easily install and manage additional libraries and packages. You can also choose to download an integrated development environment (IDE) such as PyCharm or Visual Studio Code for a more user-friendly coding experience.

3. What libraries or packages are necessary for scientific work in Python?

The specific libraries and packages you need will depend on your research area and the tasks you need to perform. However, some commonly used libraries for scientific work in Python include NumPy for numerical computing, Pandas for data manipulation and analysis, Matplotlib for data visualization, and SciPy for scientific computing and statistics. You can use the pip package manager to easily install these and other libraries.

4. Can I use Python with other programming languages?

Yes, Python can be easily integrated with other programming languages. For example, you can use the RPy library to call R functions from Python, or use the PyCall library to call Python functions from R. Python can also be used in conjunction with languages such as Java, C++, and Fortran through various interface libraries.

5. Are there any resources available to help me learn Python for scientific research?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you learn Python for scientific research. Some recommended resources include online tutorials and courses, books, and online communities and forums where you can ask questions and collaborate with other scientists using Python. You can also check out online repositories such as GitHub for open-source projects and code examples in Python.