What emissivity should I use for LED strips?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an infrared thermometer to measure the heat of white LEDs on a DIY LED panel. There is a concern about the accuracy of the measurement due to the emissivity of the plastic used and whether the IR thermometer will be affected by the light emitted from the LEDs. Suggestions are made to calibrate the thermometer or use a temperature-controlled oven to measure the known temperature of the panel. The main goal is to measure the temperature of the electrical components in order to adjust the voltage and prevent heat damage to the LEDs.
HomeExperiement
Hi!

I want to measure the heat of LEDs on my DIY LED panel with my infrared thermometer. That means that wrong emissivity could be like +/- 10 C in some cases. Should I take emissivity of white plastic which is 0.84 or are there any better options? Also does IR thermometer care if light from LEDs is shining while measuring?

1637706483636.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Calibrate with a thermocouple (or similar contact thermometer)? Or, put it in a temperature controlled oven and leave it long enough to equilibrate, then use you IR device to measure its known temperature.

Likes hutchphd
HomeExperiement said:
I want to measure the heat ...
What is "the heat" ?
What is the LED colour, white, grow, or IR ?
Do you want to measure:
1. The temperature of the electrical components, and/or the enclosure ?
2. The power dissipated by the assembly ? (maybe use power = current * voltage)
3. The infrared light emitted ?

Baluncore said:
What is "the heat" ?
What is the LED colour, white, grow, or IR ?
Do you want to measure:
1. The temperature of the electrical components, and/or the enclosure ?
2. The power dissipated by the assembly ? (maybe use power = current * voltage)
3. The infrared light emitted ?
LED color is white (1800K).
Want to measure the temperature of components so that I can adjust voltage to low enough to avoid heat damage to LEDs.

1. What is emissivity and why is it important for LED strips?

Emissivity is a measure of the ability of a material to emit thermal radiation. It is important for LED strips because it affects the efficiency and performance of the LEDs. Different materials have different emissivity values, which can impact the amount of heat that is dissipated from the LED strip.

2. How do I determine the emissivity for my LED strip?

The emissivity of a material can be measured using specialized equipment, but it is not a practical option for most users. Instead, you can refer to the datasheet provided by the manufacturer of the LED strip. This information is typically listed under the thermal characteristics section.

3. What is the recommended emissivity value for LED strips?

The recommended emissivity value for LED strips may vary depending on the specific type and brand of LED strip. However, a value between 0.8 to 0.9 is commonly used for most LED strips. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations to ensure optimal performance and longevity of the LEDs.

4. Can I use a different emissivity value for my LED strip?

It is not recommended to use a different emissivity value for your LED strip unless it is specified by the manufacturer. Using the wrong emissivity value can result in inaccurate thermal calculations and potentially damage the LEDs. Stick to the recommended value to ensure proper functioning of the LED strip.

5. How does the emissivity of an LED strip affect its thermal management?

The emissivity of an LED strip plays a crucial role in its thermal management. A higher emissivity value means that the material is more efficient at dissipating heat, which is important for preventing overheating and maintaining the longevity of the LEDs. Using a lower emissivity value can result in increased heat buildup and potential damage to the LEDs.