Edge detection using LED light source.

In summary: They would be lost in the noise. In summary, the goal of this project is to use an LED light source, shine it through a 1" x 2" slit, and then use a linear array camera to detect the edges of the slit. The problem is that the LED light is a point source, and the camera has a difficult time detecting the edges of the slit. It seems that using a diffuser may help. Another possible solution is to use a telecentric illumination by putting an aperture in front of the LED and in the front of the lens.
Nexvotum
Here's my current project goal ( And what I need help with):

I want to use an LED light source, shine it through a 1" x 2" slit and then use a linear array camera to detect the edges of the slit.

The problem: Since LEDs are a point source of light emission, my camera has a difficult time detecting the edges of the slit. I use plastic as a diffusion gradient but it only seems to work so much.

Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Nexvotum! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Those solar-powered LED garden lights use a clever diffuser to spread their light 360°. If the loss of intensity is not a problem, spend $2 and pull one of those apart to see whether you would be able to make use of that. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
A single round collimation lens?

It is not easy to produce a uniform light field. One method I used, years ago, to give a really good illumination on a 35mm slide was to use a 'light tunnel'.

Imagine a long (say 200mm) square sided tube (the size of field you want) made up of four mirrors. You put your LED array at one end and a diffuser the other end. Light takes many different paths from each LED to the diffuser (think of a kaleidoscope) and you get a very uniform illumination across the diffuser. (You get two diffusion effects in tandem).
Construction is very non-critical (cardboard and tape). You can cut a thin, cheap, mirror or even use plastic mirror film in the internal faces.
My application was for an analogue video 'key' to inlay one video picture into another, using the video level on a third (a 35mm slide), to provide the switching waveform. The problem was to get rid of the 'contouring' on the 'control slide' which a simple condenser system with a 'coiled' filament bulb kept producing. This system gave a very convincing illumination across the area of the slide. It also gives a good light level, compared with a system which relies of a reduced aperture.

Cool technique. It seems we get into these difficulties with back lighting all the time. I've seen fibers that are woven and come together to have an LED on one end. Also, there's the usage of multiple LEDs behind a grating or electroluminescent material, though I find ELs have bright and dark places.

It's not clear whether devising the lighting is part of OP's project, but if not then maybe place the the object in front of a computer monitor (or television) displaying a white screen. :tongue:

Mike_In_Plano said:
Cool technique. It seems we get into these difficulties with back lighting all the time. I've seen fibers that are woven and come together to have an LED on one end. Also, there's the usage of multiple LEDs behind a grating or electroluminescent material, though I find ELs have bright and dark places.
It all depends on how uniform you want your lighting. If you are edge detecting then it will not matter if there are broad, diffuse lighter or darker patches.

If you are willing to detect edges, then you should collimate light to avoid perspective errors.
Don't forget that your LED is not a point source, but a very small array of them. Now, to make it a point source, either you use a multimode fiber, or you use a telecentric illumination by putting an aperture in front of your LED and in the ffl of your lens.
It is another way to do things if you don't worry much about the irradiance loss or phase.

sophiecentaur said:
It all depends on how uniform you want your lighting. If you are edge detecting then it will not matter if there are broad, diffuse lighter or darker patches.

That's a good point. You don't care about low spatial frequencies for edges.

1. How does edge detection using LED light source work?

Edge detection using LED light source works by illuminating an object with a specific wavelength of light and then capturing the reflected light with a camera. The edges of the object will appear brighter or darker depending on the angle of the light, allowing for the detection of edges and boundaries.

2. What are the benefits of using LED light source for edge detection?

LED light source offers several benefits for edge detection, including high energy efficiency, low heat output, and a wide range of available wavelengths. This makes it a cost-effective and versatile option for various edge detection applications.

3. Can edge detection using LED light source be used with any type of object?

Yes, edge detection using LED light source can be used with a wide range of objects, including both opaque and transparent materials. It can also be used with objects of various sizes and shapes, making it a versatile tool for many industries.

4. Are there any limitations to edge detection using LED light source?

One of the limitations of edge detection using LED light source is that it may not work as well with highly reflective or glossy surfaces. The angle of the light may cause glare, making it difficult to detect edges accurately. In these cases, alternative edge detection methods may be more effective.

5. How does edge detection using LED light source compare to other edge detection methods?

Compared to other methods such as edge detection using lasers or ultrasound, LED light source offers a more cost-effective and energy-efficient option. It also allows for a wider range of wavelengths to be used, making it suitable for a variety of applications.