1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Engineering will I least likely be chained to a desk?

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    I want to go into an engineering field... I love math and science and would love to challenge myself in college with an engineering degree.

But when I graduate, I dont want a job that will require me to be chained to a desk 8 hours a day. Any suggestions in which field I should go into? I'm still in highschool btw... I'm just trying to figure out what Im going to do early.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2

turbo

Gold Member

You might consider Civil Engineering. When I was a soils scientist, I worked with a lot of CEs on construction jobs and they spent time outdoors monitoring the building of earthen structures, roads, the placement of concrete for abutments, etc. They still had paperwork to do and forms to file, but they got to spend time in the field. There are CEs who work more on design and spend lots more time at their workstations, but the field engineers had pretty attractive jobs. One drawback is that you may have to be pretty mobile because construction jobs tend not to be really long-term projects. Good luck.

4. Jul 14, 2011 #3
    A guaranteed job "applying" knowledge of engineering would come from having ANY sort of Engineering Technology degree. Those with an ET degree "specialize" in the application of engineering, as silly as that sounds. Less theory is involved.

5. Jul 15, 2011 #4
    Any specific science you like? Or do you like tinkering with cars/stuff? To be honest, I'm pretty sure you can find a career in most engineering fields that will allow you to work in the field. Off the top of head though, I would think that Petroleum Engineers and Civil Engineers (like turbo-1 said) work in the field routinely. But I know Mechanical Engineers who work on oil rigs and ChemEs who work in refineries and oil fields. So, there's no specific degree for field work.

It really depends on what you want to do.

6. Jul 15, 2011 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I keep looking at the thread title and wanting to answer "combat engineering".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook