Medieval Japan
Medieval Europe

Mostly I like them for their fighting.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
brewnog said:
I'd go back to just before the Romans invaded Britain.

That way, there'd be far less history to learn at school.
I was always terrible at learning history. When my parents would question me about my history grades, I'd explain, "Well, there's a lot MORE of it than when you were in school." :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Although I would rather see the distant future [HG Wells had the right idea], that and other practical conerns aside, I would have to say Greece: 500 B.C. or so.

Would love to live in early 18th century in europe, hopefully gettting to meet chopin :tongue:

I respect chopin so much..

Bladibla said:
Would love to live in early 18th century in europe, hopefully gettting to meet chopin :tongue:

I respect chopin so much..
Then you would have to live in 19th century Europe... :tongue:

marlon

marlon said:
Then you would have to live in 19th century Europe... :tongue:

marlon
oops got it wrong... :rolleyes:

BoulderHead
marlon said:
Just wondering, if you could get back in time, what era would you like to live in???
I'd like to go way back in time when the first primitive man has the first original thought...

...and knock dead that SOB with a blow to the head! :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
BoulderHead said:
I'd like to go way back in time when the first primitive man has the first original thought...

...and knock dead that SOB with a blow to the head! :biggrin:
:rofl: Do you wish to be king of the monkey people?

Although the thread is "What era would you choose to live in", perhaps it should have been called "What era would you like to visit".

The possibilities are endless but for a wuss like me who is adverse to pain, we are now in the best era ever. Living in any other time up to 50 years ago would be hell, assuming we go there from here with what we know now of our time.
Imagine the endless ways in which we could die....from a snake bite to a toothache...no thanks.
I was born in 61 and I am sad for the fact that we are just now on the cusp of real technological progress, to the stars and beyond. What we will achieve in the next 100 years will be nothing short of amazing, and sadly, I must accept that I will not be around to see it....not from this dimension anyway.
Yes, I'd like to live to 150, it may well be possible, but not in our lifetimes.

Whatever device that I would use to get there would have to be hand held, with a button clearly labeled "Get me the Fu%^& out of here now".

But in answer to the question, I agree with Moonbear, there are toooo many interesting periods for those of us who get off on history to choose just one.

Because of several reasons : i could go out and watch Don Giovanni being conducted by Mozart himself,
Make sure you set the time machine right down to the day, as I believe Don Giovanni saw only 9 performances before Sad Sack Salieri had the plug pulled.

Wardw said:
Make sure you set the time machine right down to the day, as I believe Don Giovanni saw only 9 performances before Sad Sack Salieri had the plug pulled.
This is untrue. This image comes from the motion picture Amadeus and though it is a great movie, lot's of things in it are wrong. There was never any competition like that between Mozart and Salieri. In those days, Salieri was a very well respected composer. Also, Salieri did not order a requiem "in cognito", though there are rumours that some duke gave Mozart the task of writing a death-mass.

But the argument that Mozart wrote the requiem for his own funeral is untrue.

marlon

Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl: Do you wish to be king of the monkey people?

Ooooh EEEEEE OOOH AAAAH AHHH!!!!

Ting-Tang Walla-Wallla Bingg-Bang!!!

marlon said:
Just wondering, if you could get back in time, what era would you like to live in???

I go for the period of the French revolution...I mean, the second half of the 18th century... Like in 1750-1790...

Because of several reasons : i could go out and watch Don Giovanni being conducted by Mozart himself, I could attend a pianoconcerto with Beethoven as the solist...Also, the scientific revolutions back then...The altering of Europe...Ahh what a period...

regards
marlon

ps : how about you...
Stone Age. Less thinking, more action. :yuck:

60's and 70's.

I NEED TO LIVE THROUGH ROCK AND ROLL.

I'd go for 1960's America. Back when the music of the day was actually good.

Last edited:
I would like to meat Marx and Engels sozhr second part of the 19'th scentury would be a nice time. But the Russian revolutions in 1917 would allso be interesting.

P.S The dinosours seam a good idea too.