1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly does it mean for a surface to span a contour?

1. Dec 8, 2014 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What exactly does it mean for a surface to span a contour/curve? For example, which surface(s) span the contour/curve defined by the equations x^2 + y^2 = 1 and z = y^2?

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure if I'm saying something nonsensical, but does any surface that covers at least the contour/curve in question span it? Would a cylinder as well as a sphere each span the contour curve defined by the equations x^2 + y^2 = 1 and z = y^2?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just a guess, but I'd say it was looking for a description of a surface with a boundary along that curve. So it's more of a verbal description of some possibilities than any standard shape. Can you picture the curve? Can you find two solutions for which the surface could be produced by curving a sheet of paper (i.e. at every point, one of the principal curvatures is zero - I don't know what the technical term for that is)?

4. Dec 8, 2014 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

A surface spans a curve if that curve is the boundary of the surface and the surface is bounded.

Thus a surface which spans the given curve might consist of that portion of the cylinder [itex]x^2 + y^2 = 1[/itex] having [itex]0 \leq z \leq y^2[/itex], together with the circle [itex]x^2 + y^2 \leq 1[/itex] in the [itex]z = 0[/itex] plane. Another example, this time smooth, is [itex]z = r\sin^2 \theta[/itex] where [itex](x,y,z) = (r \cos \theta, r \sin \theta, z)[/itex] with [itex]0 \leq r \leq 1[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi[/itex].

However a cylinder doesn't span that curve (because a cylinder either isn;t bounded or has a boundary consisting of two disjoint simple closed curves), and a spherical cap wouldn't span that curve because the curve doesn't lie on a sphere: you can parametrize it as [itex](\cos t, \sin t, \sin^2 t)[/itex], and the distance of the curve from the origin is then [itex]\sqrt{1 + \sin^4 t}[/itex] which is not constant.

5. Dec 8, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I suspect that the main thing the question is after is for you to spot an interesting symmetry the curve has. This symmetry means that there is a third surface, also a quadratic in x, y and z, which contains the curve. Using that, you can obtain another spanning surface analogous to pasmith's ##z = r\sin^2 \theta## solution.

6. Dec 9, 2014 #5

s3a

pasmith:
    Shouldn't z = r sin^2 θ be z = r^2 sin^2 θ?

Also, isn't (x,y,z) = (r cosθ, r sinθ, r^2 sin^2 θ) the same thing as (x,y,z) = (cos t, sin t, sin^2 t) except that the r is assumed to be 1 (with θ = t)? Wouldn't it be wrong to assume that r = 1?

And, is there a need for knowing the distance to the curve from the origin?

haruspex:
    Actually, the problem that I'm currently working (which is the problem attached in this post) does not require that I work with any surface, because of the fact that the curl of the vector field in question is 0. (but I just wanted to know what I would have to do algebraically if the curl of the vector field in question were not 0).

Everyone:
    In the problem attached in this post, both integrals over the contour C should be F ⋅ dr instead of what the solution gives, right?

Attached Files:

7. Dec 9, 2014 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

[itex]z = r^n \sin^2 \theta[/itex] for any [itex]n > 0[/itex] works, since [itex]1^n = 1[/itex].

8. Dec 9, 2014 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK. But out of interest, the curve has an unexpected symmetry: invert it (##z\rightarrow 1-z##) and rotate 90 degrees about the z axis. Thus ##1-z = x^2## is another surface through it.

9. Dec 9, 2014 #8

s3a

pasmith (and others):
    Okay, so, is what is within the ExtraWork.pdf correct? I suspect that I made at least one mistake, since I still don't feel like I've mastered this problem (the problem in the TheProblemAndSolution.jpg attachment).

haruspex (and others):
    As for the symmetry argument, first, is this ( http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=parametric plot (1 * cos t, 1 * sin t, 1 * sin^2 t) ) the correct graph?

How am I supposed to notice the symmetry? How did you notice the symmetry?

Attached Files:

10. Dec 9, 2014 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted