1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly is medical physics?

1. Jun 8, 2013 #1
    I got accepted to Medical Physics at Ryerson but don't understand what exactly it is. Can you guys please explain what it is, and what possible careers are associated with it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's what it says - it's the application of physics models to medicine.
    Normally you'd think of medicine as being mostly biology with some chemistry thrown in right?
    Turns out that physics has a lot to say as well. Enjoy.

Careers - medical research.

4. Jun 9, 2013 #3
    From the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) website:

5. Jun 9, 2013 #4
    Subscribe to the journal MEDICAL PHYSICS immediately....or spend at least a half day reading issues in any available library...

I know nothing about the journal itself, but I do know it is invaluable to have current explanations of activity in whatever field you choose.

6. Jun 9, 2013 #5

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I would note that this advice is more appropriate for a senior undergraduate student or a graduate student rather than a kid coming out of high school. What you might want to do at that point is get a student membership with AAPM (which comes with a subscription to medical physics), and then start reading about the research in the field.

As for the original poster I'm not personally familiar with Ryerson's program, but would offer the following advice. Make sure you look at the curriculum carefully and look at where graduates of the program are ending up. One of the issues with a specialized undergraduate program is that while it looks nice on paper, you may not actually get enough physics to go to graduate school in physics. What sometimes happens is that in order to add some of the more "medical physics-y" courses, they cut out some core physics courses. I'm not saying this is the case with Ryerson... just pointing it out.

7. Jun 9, 2013 #6
    Thank you so much for the wonderful advice everyone, I truly do appreciate it! & to the person above, I shall definitely go for a subscription!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook