What Explains the Extra Factor of 2 in Peskin and Schroeder's Eq. 18.84?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
qqbar
Messages
1
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


So I am self-studying the book of Peskin&Schroeder, and there is something I don't understand on page 616.

In eq. 18.80, there is a numerical factor of ½ and going from e2 to α will introduce a factor 4π when proceeding to eq. 18.84. But then there should be a numerical factor of 2π in eq 18.84. What gives an extra factor of 2?

Homework Equations


dm0xMXR3.jpe

(this is the first time I post here, please do tell if uploading a page in this format is not acceptable)

The Attempt at a Solution



I believe I understand the rest of the calculation on this page.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DuckAmuck
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, equation (18.80) is for ##e^+e^-\rightarrow e^+e^-##, equation (18.84) is for ##e^+e^-\rightarrow \text{hadrons}##. As the text says, the two are related by the optical theorem.