What factors affect the motion of a bead on a spinning hoop?

  • Thread starter Thread starter zaper
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bead Spinning
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
39 replies · 17K views
zaper said:
Not sure if this is what you want or not, but subbing Rω2=arad into Fx I get mRω2=N*sinθ.

but you're not told what N is!

(and that's not right anyway :redface:)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so since we don't know what N is and the question doesn't ask for it we need to get rid of it. You said earlier that there is no vertical acceleration so that means N*cosθ=mg or N=mg/cosθ
 
(just got up :zzz: …)

that's right :smile: …

now put everything together!​
 
So then plugging N into mrω2=N*sinθ (again r is the horizontal circle's radius) I get:

mrω2=mg*sinθ/cosθ

Simplified this is rω2=g*tanθ

Now I believe that r is R*sinθ so subbing again:

R*sinθ*ω2=g*tanθ which simplifies again to

R*ω2=g/cosθ

Hopefully I did all that right and from here it's easy to get θ by itself
 
zaper said:
R*ω2=g/cosθ

yes! :smile:

ok, now you have ω as a function of θ, find both the normal force and the friction (tangential) force as a function of θ, and check whether µ is sufficient :wink:
 
Well I already have the equation for N right? (N=mg/cosθ) And can I just use friction≤μN here?
 
zaper said:
Well I already have the equation for N right? (N=mg/cosθ)

no, because you got that by resolving F = ma vertically, in the non-friction case

now, there's a friction force F, which of course will have both horizontal and vertical components, so that equation needs changing

(you may find it more convenient to use R-radial and tangential components instead of horizontal and vertical … I'm not sure, i haven't checked)
 
Ok so with friction for there to be no vertical acceleration then Ny+Fy=mg to stop it from moving down but also mg+Fy=Ny to stop from moving up.

For no horizontal acceleration won't it simply be Nx=Fx?
 
zaper said:
Ok so with friction for there to be no vertical acceleration then Ny+Fy=mg to stop it from moving down but also mg+Fy=Ny to stop from moving up.

nooo, it'll drive you mad if you try doing the two friction cases separately :redface:

the only way to stay sane is to just call it F, and find out later whether it's positive or negative :smile:
For no horizontal acceleration won't it simply be Nx=Fx?

but there isn't no horizontal acceleration, is there?
 
tiny-tim said:
the only way to stay sane is to just call it F, and find out later whether it's positive or negative :smile:

So Ny+F-mg=ma with no vertical acceleration so it's just simply Ny+F=mg

Horizontally then Nx-Fx=ma but where does this acceleration come from?