What factors affect the rate of sinking objects in water?

In summary, all three instances of blocks sinking through water have the same acceleration, which is based on the mass and size of the object.
jrwints
Hi All,

I have a problem (with 3 separate instances) to which I believe I have the answers, but would like check with those more knowledgeable than myself. They revolve around 3 blocks sinking through water and which falls quicker. I am ignoring friction.

Instance 1:
All blocks are exactly the same shape and size. They have different masses however. Which falls quicker?

Instance 2:
All blocks are of different sizes (short/medium/long), but have the same mass. Which falls quicker?

Instance 3:
All blocks are made of the same material but are different sizes (short/medium/long). Which falls quicker?

My understanding of the answers is based upon Newton's second law, buoyancy and free body force diagrams:
W(obj) - W(wat) = mass of object x acceleration (where Weight of water is equal to its density x volume of object x gravity):

a- ( m(o) - m(w) ) g = m(o) a
b- ( p(o) - p(w) ) vg = p(o) v a (mass = density x volume)

1. Using eqn a: Although m(o) increases, m(w) remains constant, therefore acceleration increases and heavier mass falls quicker

2. Using eqn a: As they have the same mass, m(o) remains constant, but m(w) increases as the size of the object increases. Therefore, the smaller object falls quicker

3. Using eqn b: All densities are equal, but as the volume on both sides of the equation cancel each other out, they fall at the same rate

Is this the correct understanding? I believe it is, but it does do your head in!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jr, :welcome:

If you want to ignore friction, you are back to Galileo Galilei's experiments.
You equations are hard to read and understand. are the a and the b enumerators or variables ?

[edit] all right, enumerators.

Instance 1 and 2: I agree. Some can even move upwards...
Instance 3: agree also.

In all cases it's pretty straightforward to write an expression for the acceleration.

Thanks BvU,
It basically comes down to density. Those with greater densities sink faster than those with smaller densities.
It's basic physics but something I haven't needed to think about or do for ages - when they come up in aptitude tests you forget the equations and logic behind the reasoning!

Same here: Galilei had to do with non-vacuum and was genius enough to reason through that limitation. For a fish such luck isn't there :smile:

1. What factors affect the rate of sinking objects?

The rate of sinking objects is affected by several factors, including the density and shape of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid it is sinking in, and the presence of any external forces such as wind or currents.

2. How does the density of an object affect its rate of sinking?

The density of an object is a major factor in determining its rate of sinking. Objects with a higher density will sink faster than those with a lower density, as they are heavier and have a greater force pulling them down.

3. Why do some objects float while others sink?

The buoyancy force, or upward force exerted by a fluid on an object, is what determines whether an object will float or sink. If the buoyancy force is greater than the weight of the object, it will float. If the weight is greater, the object will sink.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its rate of sinking?

The shape of an object can also affect its rate of sinking. Objects with a larger surface area, such as a flat sheet, will experience more drag and therefore sink slower than objects with a smaller surface area, such as a sphere.

5. Can the rate of sinking change over time?

Yes, the rate of sinking can change over time. As an object sinks, it may encounter changes in the density or viscosity of the fluid it is sinking in, or it may encounter external forces that can alter its rate of sinking. Additionally, as an object sinks deeper into a fluid, it may experience changes in pressure that can affect its rate of sinking.