What fantasy universe would you live in?

In summary, I love Lord Dunsany's The King Of Elfland's Daughter for its poetic beauty, but I would also prefer Narnia.
In a de Sitter universe.

Physics news on Phys.org
Known Space has some interesting things going on.

Maybe not live in, but Westworld seemed pretty cool for a vacation!

The thing is, that my apparent real life could be an entertainment option that I chose. so to pass the time on an intergalactic journey.
I hope in that case that I had set the character generators right, sometimes really annoying situations crop up that I don't like.
Anyway I think my travel insurance covers that kind of thing.

Likes Buzz Bloom
PWiz said:
I'd love to be in the Dragon Ball Z universe. I've always fantasized about becoming a Super Saiyan :biggrin:
Yeah me too! I dream about that all the time. I actually wrote an alternative Dragon Ball-inspired universe for GURPS (a tabletop RPG). It still has super saiyan and all that but it's more balanced and doesn't have people with the ability to destroy planets or other plot-hole creating abilities. Ki is imagined as a form of "psychic energy" and the energy blasts are a form of explosion (heated gas) controlled by the telekinesis of the ki aura (since it is *psychic* energy). So there are some differences, and you could say some pretty hefty nerfing, but sufficiently developed characters are still superhero level. I don't plan on playing it tbh, it was more just to get the idea out of my head and out there, but it has led to some pretty cool dreams ... I'm very dream oriented, lol. Though there's nothing like going super saiyan god and destroying the solar system in your dream!

Anyway, I definitely prefer *this* world I'm living in (or its afterlife) to even the DBZ-verse. But the Forgotten Realms would be cool if you were a high-stat character. If I could choose, I'd go for the Mary Sue of a Gold Dragon. Then the world would be your oyster!

In Space 1999, Moonbase Alpha under the command of John Koenig. ( RIP Martin Landau _)

Likes pinball1970 and diogenesNY
I'd definitely go for somewhere in Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere, maybe Scadriel (after the events in Mistborn of course) or most likely Roshar, just for the beauty and complexity of it.

Another world I'd really like to live in is the one from Patrick Rothfuss Kingkiller Chronicles (the name of the wind, A Wise Man Fear), in there, I'd love to be a scholar or to be from ademre!

Likes Ryan_m_b
Greg Bernhardt said:
We have a SciFi what world would you like in, now what fantasy world would you pick to live in?

examples are, Middle Earth, Narnia, Harry Potter, Shangri-La, Neverland, Gulliver’s World, Oz, Wonderland...
None of them. Fantasies are usually based on Europe in the Middle Ages where all but the very rich toiled from dawn to dusk just to get something to eat (and then dying at the advanced age of 40).

Likes YoungPhysicist
Svein said:
None of them. Fantasies are usually based on Europe in the Middle Ages where all but the very rich toiled from dawn to dusk just to get something to eat (and then dying at the advanced age of 40).
Well, but world's like Harry potter's one are pretty much settled in the modern era. So is Percy Jackson (well, most of Rick Riordan books), and The Sorcerer's Apprentice. There is modern fantasy, and there is also fantasy with highly developed societies that don't behave like Europe in the middle ages.

Those kind of worlds are also interesting to develop and generally feel more original than those you mention, although I don't recall any of those right now [emoji28]

Perhaps a world when everyone around me suddenly gain passion about physics.:cool:Which will be a fantasy by itself.

Likes hsdrop
Scott pilgrim universe montreal !(if u consider it as fantasy)

Greg Bernhardt said:
We have a SciFi what world would you like in, now what fantasy world would you pick to live in?

examples are, Middle Earth, Narnia, Harry Potter, Shangri-La, Neverland, Gulliver’s World, Oz, Wonderland...
MCU(Marvel cinematic universe) was my favourite but then Thanos arrived and turned half life of the universe to dust,now I prefer my present universe the best because no one dies by a finger snap of somebody mad.

The fantasy world I sometimes wish to live in is a pure Newtonian world (with quantum and relativity experienced at extreme small or large ends). Here humans will be in half dazed, half awaken states (zombies), and we won't have a soul where the Earth is battleground of many forces trying to take advantage of us. In a Newtonian/quantum/relativistic world (with Higgs and nothing more for the rest of time). We won't have religion created to divide us.. and not much hatred and pain that comes from non-physical qualia producing substances (whose nature will become mainstream physics a hundred years (or so) from now when our present generation of very tunnel vision physicists (that Hossefelder even admit) got replaced).

Rowan middle Earth during the time of the quest to destroy the ring. That would be cool.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Grew up in many of these (old-timey) worlds. Wonderland exceptional. Excellent math. Cool characters.
Bad things happen near Dreamland. Let's not return there.

Greg, I choose to live in Rudy Rucker's world. Careful combinatorics and computer science save the day. Autism becomes an adaptable communication problem. TCP/IP becomes "surfing the Gnarl". --Norm

[Probably quoting Kem Nunn but Rucker referred to the Gnarl when he taught stats.]

Last edited: