Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What SciFi universe would you live in?

1. Mar 25, 2013 #1
    I asked this question to Doc Al in his interview, but I think it would be fun to hear from everyone. You can pick any well known SciFi universe to live in. Which would it be?

I would say Star Trek just for the holodeck and the device where food is instantly made. Seems fairly stable too.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Definitely Star trek TNG.

4. Mar 25, 2013 #3

jedishrfu

star gate sg-1

5. Mar 25, 2013 #4
    I'll have to go with next gen too...

but I wouldn't argue with hanging out with Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect making and eating perfectly normal beast sandwiches and arguing with old Thrashbarg, but I could recreate that on the holodeck just the same.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  6. Mar 26, 2013 #5

Evo

I mean TNG, you've got the Enterprise, a holodeck, a replicator, a transporter, cool non-invasive medical procedures, synthahol. :cool:

7. Mar 26, 2013 #6
    I'd also like to have a couple Q&A sessions with that computer, so much knowledge, and presumably correct at that.

8. Mar 26, 2013 #7

Ryan_m_b

9. Mar 26, 2013 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Barsoom!

10. Mar 26, 2013 #9
    Star Trek TNG for sure. I would have too much fun in the holodeck.

11. Mar 26, 2013 #10

jedishrfu

Yay, Good choice, Virginia!

12. Mar 26, 2013 #11
    Defenitely star trek TNG,k really want to meet an android

13. Mar 26, 2013 #12

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

The nice thing about the Stargate SG-1 universe is that it feels close enough that you can almost pretend you're already in it.

However, I ceased being able to suspend my disbelief when they started playing with the device that switches people instantaneously between different bodies anywhere in the universe (at the start of the Ori thread, then as a mainstay of Stargate Universe, which I hated).

14. Mar 26, 2013 #13

jedishrfu

Yeah, the show kinda went downhill when Richard Dean Anderson left but Morena was a pretty nice replacement.

15. Mar 26, 2013 #14
    Unoriginal, but hands down Star Wars. Can't help it, I watched that series a thousand times as a kid. Actually, when someone asks me my favorite movie, I tell them a more recent or thoughtful one, but always in my mind I am thinking "Star Wars aside." Close second would be Wheel of Time, though.

Oops..couldn't forget Serenity and the firefly series.

16. Mar 27, 2013 #15

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Dr. Who, but only if I get to be a Time Lord.

17. Mar 29, 2013 #16
    Any universe with a Death Note would be my piece of cake. :biggrin:

18. Mar 29, 2013 #17

Rolen

Gold Member

I'd live on the universe of Foundation.
    Advanced math, advanced tech. Sure it'll be fun.

19. Mar 29, 2013 #18
    The Hitchhiker's Guide and the outer planets in Firefly just because the idea of cowboy/space travel sounds adventurous :D

20. Mar 29, 2013 #19
    Some of these answers are a little surprising, TNG has the Dominion War in its future (Earth even gets attacked!), Doctor Who has invaders every other week, Firefly has an alliance that is pretty much dominating everyone, Star Wars is imperialistic and fractured, Hitchhiker's (at least the movie) has a universe dominated by creatively-stunted bureaucrats.

If we are only working with cannon I think that Star Trek after the Dominion War would be my choice, so really late DS9. All the benefits discussed above, a Federation that is now in a position of power greater than ever before (they can reverse engineer Dominion tech, the Cardassians/etc are all ruined, the Klingon Empire is worse off than ever before, the Romulan Empire is in bad shape and they are going to get worse after the supernova and civil war, all meaning that space is ripe for Federation expansion (sort of like the EU and NATO after the end of the cold war)). Sure they have a war fresh in their mind but they are also still in good shape and reconstruction will leave them as the almost undisputed superpower. The only remaining enormous threat is the borg and we already know from the time travellers that this isn't a particularly existential threat unless you plan to 'bravely go' into the Delta Quadrant.

21. Mar 29, 2013 #20
    The Culture universe is very serene and idyllic.

I absolutely adore SGU. It contained more of an appealing plot and character development than I saw in SG-1 or SG-Atlantis, which was based more on fighting and gunsplosions.

Interestingly, I've noticed that people who like SG-1 or SG-Atlantis tend not to like SGU, and that the opposite is true as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted