What SciFi universe would you live in?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Scifi Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
108 replies · 36K views
HallsofIvy said:
Of course not! What would the women look like?
Slim and sexy? Ironically, the 2D story helps me much to understand 4D. At least to imagine 4D.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HallsofIvy said:
I was thinking "flat"!

That would be the logical conclusion.
 
I could live in my spaceship in my universe because when I hook up I am the spaceship. I feel every electrical impulse the ship is me and I command the voluntary functions of the computer. I sense the sensor stimulus and control the response. My ship has the ultimate of defenses and offensive technology. It has the most powerful engines, the best sensors. It is the ultimate ship in my universe. I feel at peace when I'm hooked up. I get all the best stuff in my universe. I think with virtual reality the real universe will be the best universe. Nobody has to be rich. They have their virtual castle or palace, virtual car, virtual wife etc; the best of everything defying the efforts of the rich. Though they are poor, they are rich.
 
I wouldn't live in a new sci-fi universe like AVATAR among others because they assume that all habitable worlds will have sentient life. This gives the feeling that we have no place to go. That's a miserable outlook and I think many sci-fi's have succombed to this idea. I don't find that realistic. Even on this world legend has it that god put sentience here and it is not natural. I'd want to live in a universe where we have a place to go.
 
schonovic said:
I wouldn't live in a new sci-fi universe like AVATAR among others because they assume that all habitable worlds will have sentient life. This gives the feeling that we have no place to go. That's a miserable outlook and I think many sci-fi's have succumbed to this idea. I don't find that realistic. Even on this world legend has it that god put sentience here and it is not natural. I'd want to live in a universe where we have a place to go.

One of the things I think our space-faring future would be about is architecture. We would have to build the ships to get to these places in the first place, we could then build habitats to live in once we get there. We could custom design O'neil or McKendree cylinders for whatever environment we'd find, and they would always be in the best spot for us in the habitable zone. It could be that after living in ships for hundreds or thousands of years the idea of living on a planet again could be really icky!
 
Mr.Robot said:
#Battlestar_Galactica
Universe ruled by Cylons! :nb):nb):frown:

If you are talking about the last one SciFi did you seem more alarmed by the prospect than the creators were; they seemed far more interested in the Cylons than the human beings. There is an attitude I call Ethical Misanthropy that I see as very much an intellectual fashion statement today. The last Battlestar Galactica very much displayed this attitude.
 
Khatti said:
If you are talking about the last one SciFi did you seem more alarmed by the prospect than the creators were; they seemed far more interested in the Cylons than the human beings. There is an attitude I call Ethical Misanthropy that I see as very much an intellectual fashion statement today. The last Battlestar Galactica very much displayed this attitude.

The last episode was happy ending episode.
But even after 4.5 billion years,Cylons(creators) were in existence.HOW??
I didn't get that part..
 
Mr.Robot said:
I didn't get that part..

I didn't get most of the parts. I watched the first few episodes and the last few episodes and most of it. All of the humans seemed a little too screwed up to really be believable.
 
In other forums, the Pokémon universe seems to be a popular answer to this sort of question. My answer would be: give me a couple months to write one up and I will go there!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Mr.Robot
Stephanus said:
I like star trek, too. No, holodeck is not everything Greg. It's the culture, where human (and Star Federation) is much more refined than us.

Are they really? No cybernetic immortality, no cloning and they actually make genetic engineering illegal (for humans anyway). Khan was right—they basically haven't changed any since the 20th century. The Federation seems like a big prison humanity gets stuck in.

If I had to pick a universe, I think it'd be the Marvel Comics universe. Because I'd be constantly reinvented every few years, and every time I died, I'd just come back from the dead. And the special effects would be awesome.
 
Last edited:
Artribution said:
If I had to pick a universe, I think it'd be the Marvel Comics universe. Because I'd be constantly reinvented every few years, and every time I died, I'd just come back from the dead. And the special effects would be awesome.

Hard to see how one could enjoy dying every few years. Especially bloody violent deaths at the hands of evil doers. How do you guarantee you would be re-written? seems like you would like Scalzi's Redshirts Universe.
 
meBigGuy said:
Hard to see how one could enjoy dying every few years.
Have you ever tried it? Besides, you get a snazzier costume in every incarnation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Artribution
If you happen to be the one guy they write back in. It's which universe.
 
meBigGuy said:
How do you guarantee you would be re-written?

Because writers come and go, but fans last forever.

Hornbein said:
Have you ever tried it? Besides, you get a snazzier costume in every incarnation.

Except sometimes they make a movie and you get a crappy movie costume instead. But there again is the self-correcting mechanism: fans.
 
Futurama and it's not even close.

It's like all the best bits of all the best worlds. But better.
 
If it weren't for the Reapers then it would be Mass Effect. It is a relatively peaceful Science Fiction universe with only two major galactic wars having occurred in the last nearly three millenia and there is a wealth of technology that improves the quality of one's life like life extension that could be used to have a lifespan triple that of the current lifespan average of 80. And it would be a universe very socially adaptable to me.
 
The Piers Anthony Apprentice Adept Universe. I would want to be a decadent Proton Citizen!