1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What force am i overcoming when i move an object? break it?

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What force am i overcoming when i move an object? break it?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't know if theres a forum for more basic conceptual topics but I'm learning about newtons. I learned the famous for action there is an = and opposite reaction. When I push , lets say my desk, am I simply exerting more force than the desks mass? If I pushed the desk with enough force that it broke, is it still exerting an = and opposite reaction on me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

What force do you think is acting on it?

4. Oct 19, 2015 #3
    The force acting on the table is me. I believe that if I overcome the weight of the table with my force it will move..Maybe if I overcome the forces holding together the table it will break. But at that point, It's still exerting a force equal and opposite on me?

5. Oct 19, 2015 #4
    You talk about overcoming the "weight of the table." What force are you actually trying to 'overcome' here?

6. Oct 19, 2015 #5
    Well weight (m*g) and friction, right?

7. Oct 19, 2015 #6
    For the sake of simplicity, we'll say that you're pushing only in the 'x' direction. Perfectly horizontally. This would mean that the force you'd need to overcome would indeed be friction.

Friction here, is due to the normal force between the ground and the bottom of the table. In this situation, force normal would be equal to the weight of the table, or the force of gravity acting upon the table.

As for this;
    What does Newton's third law say?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted