Friction Force exerted on an object

In summary, the man is exerting a force of 200 N on the refrigerator and pushing it across a rough floor at a constant velocity to the right. The friction force exerted by the floor would also be 200 N, since there is no acceleration. Action-reaction pairs do not affect the answer to this problem. A free body diagram would show only the refrigerator with the horizontal forces acting on it.
RaeZ

Homework Statement

A man is exerting a force of 200 N on a refrigerator and pushing the fridge across a rough floor at a constant velocity to the right.
How much friction force acts on the refrigerator ? Give a number and appropriate units.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the friction force exerted by the floor would be equal to the man's exerted force on the refrigerator, but at the same time I know that the force exerted by the man and the friction force exerted by the floor are not an action/reaction pair, so I am not sure that they would be equal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Action-reaction pairs have nothing to do with the answer to this problem. Have you drawn a free body diagram on the refrigerator, showing the horizontal forces acting on it?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Action-reaction pairs have nothing to do with the answer to this problem. Have you drawn a free body diagram on the refrigerator, showing the horizontal forces acting on it?

Chet
I was given a diagram (below) and told the force exerted by the man on the refrigerator is 200 N. In this case the man is A and the refrigerator is B

Attachments

• IMG_0925.JPG
    IMG_0925.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 443
Who says that forces that are not action-reaction pairs can't be equal? I still don't see your free body diagram showing only the refrigerator, with the forces acting on it.

Chestermiller said:
Who says that forces that are not action-reaction pairs can't be equal? I still don't see your free body diagram showing only the refrigerator, with the forces acting on it.

If I know that there is no acceleration, can I use Newton's second law to conclude that the friction force is equal to the force enacted upon the fridge by the man?

RaeZ said:
If I know that there is no acceleration, can I use Newton's second law to conclude that the friction force is equal to the force enacted upon the fridge by the man?
Sure

Chestermiller said:
Sure
Thank you!

1. What is friction force?

Friction force is the force that opposes the relative motion of two surfaces in contact.

2. How is friction force measured?

Friction force can be measured using a force meter (such as a spring scale) or by calculating it using the coefficient of friction and the normal force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of friction force?

The magnitude of friction force is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force, and the coefficient of friction.

4. How does friction force affect the motion of an object?

Friction force can cause an object to slow down or stop if it is moving, or prevent it from starting to move if it is at rest. It can also change the direction of motion if the surfaces are not parallel.

5. How can friction force be reduced?

Friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, making the surfaces smoother, or by reducing the normal force. It can also be reduced by changing the type of surfaces in contact or by using wheels or rollers.