1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction Force exerted on an object

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A man is exerting a force of 200 N on a refrigerator and pushing the fridge across a rough floor at a constant velocity to the right.
    How much friction force acts on the refrigerator ? Give a number and appropriate units.

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that the friction force exerted by the floor would be equal to the man's exerted force on the refrigerator, but at the same time I know that the force exerted by the man and the friction force exerted by the floor are not an action/reaction pair, so I am not sure that they would be equal.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2
    Action-reaction pairs have nothing to do with the answer to this problem. Have you drawn a free body diagram on the refrigerator, showing the horizontal forces acting on it?

Chet

4. Dec 10, 2015 #3
    I was given a diagram (below) and told the force exerted by the man on the refrigerator is 200 N. In this case the man is A and the refrigerator is B

Attached Files:

5. Dec 10, 2015 #4
    Who says that forces that are not action-reaction pairs can't be equal? I still don't see your free body diagram showing only the refrigerator, with the forces acting on it.

6. Dec 10, 2015 #5
    If I know that there is no acceleration, can I use Newton's second law to conclude that the friction force is equal to the force enacted upon the fridge by the man?

7. Dec 10, 2015 #6
    Sure

8. Dec 10, 2015 #7
    Thank you!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted