Force on table/chair rolling back

This causes you to accelerate backwards while the table remains at rest due to its greater mass. In summary, the misconception that equal and opposite forces cancel each other out is incorrect in this scenario, as one force acts on a different body resulting in unbalanced forces and acceleration.
Entr0py

Homework Statement

Today I was sitting in a chair (with wheels on bottom) and decided to apply a force to a large desk. While I applied this force with my hand, my seat and I rolled backwards. My question is why is this so? I was thinking that if my hand is object "a" then it exerts a force on the desk (object "b"), F(ab) while the desk exerts a force F(ba) on my hand. Now if these action-reaction forces are equal and opposite then why do I accelerate backwards (or away from my desk)? What I think happens is that I DO accelerate the table but why can't I see its acceleration?

Homework Equations

Newton's third law and ΣF=ma where F and a are vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a common misconception. Even if actions reaction forces are equal and opposite, they are acting on two different bodies. The force you exert acts on the table. The table exerts an equal and opposite force on you. Hence for you, there is an unbalanced force acting on your body.

1. What is the force that causes a table or chair to roll back?

The force that causes a table or chair to roll back is the force of friction. Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact with each other.

2. Why does a table or chair roll back when pushed?

A table or chair rolls back when pushed because of the direction of the force applied. When a force is applied to the front of the table or chair, the force of friction acts in the opposite direction, causing the table or chair to roll back.

3. How does the weight of the object on the table or chair affect the force of rolling back?

The weight of the object on the table or chair does not directly affect the force of rolling back. However, a heavier object may require a greater force to push, which would result in a stronger force of friction and a greater likelihood of the table or chair rolling back.

4. Can the force of rolling back be affected by the surface the table or chair is on?

Yes, the force of rolling back can be affected by the surface the table or chair is on. A smoother surface will have less friction, resulting in a weaker force of rolling back. A rougher surface will have more friction, resulting in a stronger force of rolling back.

5. Is there a way to prevent a table or chair from rolling back?

There are a few ways to prevent a table or chair from rolling back. One way is to increase the weight on the table or chair, which will increase the force of friction and make it more difficult for the table or chair to roll back. Another way is to add friction to the surface the table or chair is on, such as using a rug or rubber stoppers. Additionally, angling the table or chair slightly towards the direction of the force can also help prevent rolling back.