What forces are involved in an inclined elevator boat lift?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter qtp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Boat Lift Mechanics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
qtp
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I have a question regarding the forces involved in an inclined elevator boat lift. Attached is a diagram of the setup. I was wondering what forces are involved. I know that there is a torque that is exerted on the inclined arm equal to the weight of the boat times the distance of the center of the boat from the inclined arm. This torque does not change as the boat moves up and down the lift. However, are there other forces involved that would cause a greater torque on the inclined arm the higher the boat moves up and down the lift? For example, is the setup more likely to tip over when the boat is higher up the lift? Or is the setup just as stable regardless of how high the boat is. Also, the inclined arm is resting on the seawall and is driven down into the ground underwater. Thank you for any light you can shed on this :) attached is the diagram

Preston
 
Attachments
  • New Bitmap Image.JPG
    New Bitmap Image.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 690
Physics news on Phys.org
I approved the attachment. Is this a homework problem? If so, I can move it to the Physics homework forums.
 
thank you for approving it. this is not a homework problem. it is just a curiosity thing thank you