1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Forces Cause Rotational Emissions?

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    I was curious about what forces can be applied to a molecule to cause a rotational emission.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2
    What is a rotational emission?

4. Nov 8, 2015 #3
    Essentially, rotational emission is caused when there is a change in a molecules spin state to a lower energy, the difference is released in the form of a low energy photon (somewhere around micro and radio frequencies). Its similar to vibrational emissions, but those release infrared, both behaviors a governed by QM though. Its used in astronomy and a few forms of microscopy.
    (I am a little shaky on the specifics myself. If someone has a better explanation or more to offer, its always appreciated!)

So to be more specific, I am wondering what methods can be implemented to lower a molecules spin state on demand, so that it results in an emission.
    Are there protocols for using magnets, or changes in voltage, etc. , that can cause such an effect?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook