1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What fraction of its energy does accelerating proton shed?

1. Apr 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a proton with a kinetic energy of 6 MeV is traveling in a particle accelerator in a circular orbit of radius 0.75m, what fraction of its energy does it radiate per second?

m = 1.67 * 10^-27
    epsilon_0 = 8.854 * 10^-12
    c = 3 * 10^8

2. Relevant equations
    dE/dt = (q^2 a^2) / (6*π*Epsilon_0 *c^3)

3. The attempt at a solution
    E_kin = 6*1.6*10^-19*10^6 J

calculation of velocity by means of E_kin = 0.5 * m * v^2
    v = 0.3397*10^8 ms^-1
    v = distance/time
    a = derivative of v = -d/v^2

using the equation (Larmor formula) above I calculated 6.55*10^-39 J/s that are radiated.
    What bugs me, is that I didn't use the given radius and I pretty sure I'm supposed to use it but I don't know how
    I'd really appreciate your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The first formula assumes a constant velocity, which is equivalent to zero acceleration. That is not the situation you have here.
    I don't understand how you got -d/v2 in the second line, and how you plugged in a value for the distance then.

Anyway, you have circular motion, there is a standard formula for the acceleration in circular motion.
    The radius is important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted