1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What frequency did you hear 3 seconds after police pass?

1. Mar 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The police was headed to a felony and passed you so you stopped. What frequency did you hear 3 second after the police passed you?

2. Relevant equations
    f=1/T
    3. The attempt at a solution
    f=1/3
    f=.33Hz

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No.

What is the frequency of the siren? Do you only hear it as it approaches (so Doppler shifted to a higher frequency than its no-movement frequency)? Or do you know what its non-moving base frequency is?

What is the equation for the Doppler shift in frequency versus relevant velocities of the source and listener? You are missing so much from this post. Please fix it...

4. Mar 20, 2016 #3
    So what's the correct formula?

5. Mar 20, 2016 #4
    Frequency of Siren is 988Hz

6. Mar 20, 2016 #5

berkeman

You are the student, so you must tell us that. :smile:

7. Mar 20, 2016 #6

berkeman

That does not fully answer my question. That is the frequency that is heard how? When the car is approaching, or when it is stopped and you are stopped. Please post the full text of the question.

8. Mar 20, 2016 #7
    Forget this question, can you please delete this thread?

9. Mar 20, 2016 #8

berkeman

No, we don't delete threads with replies here. Please show more effort in your future schoolwork threads here. That's in our rules. I'll cut you a break on this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook