What happens during non-polar solvation (if there is such a thing)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrainSalad
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
BrainSalad
Messages
53
Reaction score
1
I've found plenty of information on polar solvents and how they work, so I understand that. But, according to like-dissolves-like, non-polar solvents dissolve non-polar solutes: how?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
So you mean why do non-polar solvents not dissolve polar solutes?
 
qalomel said:
So you mean why do non-polar solvents not dissolve polar solutes?

Not really: I understand that.
I want to know why non-polar solvents DO dissolve non-polar solutes.
 
Non-polar solvents do dissolve non-polar solutes because there are enough interactions between them. So on the molecular level, I think of it as solvent-solute 'bonds' forming until the solute molecules are completely surrounded by solvent molecules, pulling the solute into solution.