What happens if Rumsfeld is fired/resigns?

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
kat said:
You know, Pelastration, Hughes is right...
LOL. Even a broken watch has the right time twice a day...
Thanks kat!

amp
Funny, where is the reasoning or back up to your assertions that PELS ITEM (L),FOR INSTANCE isn't torture? Russ?

Njorl
Science Advisor
hughes johnson said:
Actually, Iraqi's love to have people tell them what to do. They readily submit to any powerful person that appears on the scene. That's part of the problem we have in Iraq, we haven't been as harsh as their mullahs, so we don't get as much respect because we're seen as being weak.
I wouldn't quite go that far.

I think Iraqis are habituated to tyranny, but I don't think they love it. It is one of the things that makes the stakes so high in Iraq. Would-be dictators know that if they can seize power, the people will not rise up en mass to throw them out. I would be much more encouraged if there were a million Iraqis protesting in the streets of Baghdad, demanding that we leave. Instead, small groups of gunmen are just trying to stay "in the game" until the US leaves. Then, there will be many attempts at power grabs.

I haven't heard anything about the harshness of Iraqi mullahs.

Njorl

russ_watters
Mentor
amp said:
Funny, where is the reasoning or back up to your assertions that PELS ITEM (L),FOR INSTANCE isn't torture? Russ?
Huh? I don't know what "pels item" is, but we've already had the burden-of-proof discussion several times, amp.
I think Iraqis are habituated to tyranny, but I don't think they love it. It is one of the things that makes the stakes so high in Iraq. Would-be dictators know that if they can seize power, the people will not rise up en mass to throw them out. I would be much more encouraged if there were a million Iraqis protesting in the streets of Baghdad, demanding that we leave. Instead, small groups of gunmen are just trying to stay "in the game" until the US leaves. Then, there will be many attempts at power grabs.
I tend to agree, but I wonder what separates Iraq from a country like Yugoslavia, where the citizens rose up and walked virtually unchallenged into the capital to arrest their dictator. Where were the Yugoslavian warlords and terrorists?

So, about my actual question:
Pelastration, you said Wolfowitz would become acting secretary, would Bush later appoint a new Secretary of Defense and Wolfowitz become deputy again, or would Wolfowitz become Secretary of Defense and a new deputy be chosen?

I realize it's unlikely that Bush will dump Rumsfeld, I'm just curious about the process that would happen if he did.

wasteofo2 said:
So, about my actual question:
Pelastration, you said Wolfowitz would become acting secretary, would Bush later appoint a new Secretary of Defense and Wolfowitz become deputy again, or would Wolfowitz become Secretary of Defense and a new deputy be chosen?

I realize it's unlikely that Bush will dump Rumsfeld, I'm just curious about the process that would happen if he did.
I suggest you take a look at: http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/resource/speeches/1985/51485b.htm

I don't know if it's still acurate. It starts with:

Executive Order 12514 -- Prescribing the Order of Succession of Officers To Act as Secretary of Defense, Secretary of the Army, Secretary of the Navy, and Secretary of the Air Force

May 14, 1985
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, including section 3347 of title 5, United States Code, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Part I. Succession to the Position of Secretary of Defense.

In the event of the death, disability, or absence of the Secretary of Defense, the incumbents in the Department of Defense positions listed below shall succeed to the position of, and act as, Secretary of Defense in the order indicated:

1. Deputy Secretary of Defense.

2. Secretary of the Army.

3. Secretary of the Navy.

4. Secretary of the Air Force.

5. Under Secretary of Defense for Policy.

6. Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering.

Last edited by a moderator: