What happens if you hit a bullet from the side?

• Thread starter TheShredder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bullet
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential outcome of a collision between a bullet and a human hand. One person suggests that if the hand were to move at the same speed as the bullet in a slapping motion, the bullet would change direction and the hand would be unharmed. However, the other person argues that regardless of the speed of the hand, damage could still occur due to the force of the bullet. The conversation also considers factors such as friction, heat, and gravity in this scenario. Ultimately, it is agreed that a collision at a 90-degree angle would result in the bullet being knocked off course, but at any other angle, damage would likely occur.
TheShredder
My brother actually said this and felt that it would not effect the person's hand. He said, theoretically, if a person were to move their hand from the side of the bullet (so as to slap the bullet) , at the same speed as the bullet, the bullet would would change its direction and the hand would be left unharmed. I feel that the bullet would graze the person's hand, while it is in contact with the bullet, also the speed of the hand does not need to be at the same speed as the bullet to cause it to change direction, it would require a certain amount but not exactly the same as the bullet.
Which one is right and why?
also here is a picture I made in case I could not explain the problem properly: http://imgur.com/ceATo5d
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a collision between two objects. Is it elastic, or inelastic?

I guess this collision would be elastic since a hand is a soft object.
Either way though there will be some exchange of momentum.
The moving hand may very slightly alter the trajectory of the bullet,
however the much faster moving bullet could apply a very considerable force to a part of the hand which it touches, and very possibly this could result in grazing or worse damage depending on factors such as the exact angle of contact

rootone said:
I guess this collision would be elastic since a hand is a soft object.
Either way though there will be some exchange of momentum.
The moving hand may very slightly alter the trajectory of the bullet,
however the much faster moving bullet could apply a very considerable force to a part of the hand which it touches, and very possibly this could result in grazing or worse damage depending on factors such as the exact angle of contact

If the hit is made at a 90o angle

Probably would result in a nasty graze along with some tissue damage due to heat caused by friction, but no permanent injury.
The trajectory of the bullet would probably be altered by a very small amount.

rootone said:
Probably would result in a nasty graze along with some tissue damage due to heat caused by friction, but no permanent injury.
The trajectory of the bullet would probably be altered by a very small amount.
That is my expectation as well. A frictionless cold bullet would not harm the hand (assuming it is completely flat to make that collision exactly as described).

1889_20_280-gunshot-wound-hand.jpg

Bullet grazing wounds to the palm and wrist.

mfb said:
That is my expectation as well. A frictionless cold bullet would not harm the hand (assuming it is completely flat to make that collision exactly as described).
I realize you're trying to make an ideal scenario here, to isolate the mechanisms, but I'm not sure that discounting friction illuminates the issue here. Of course a frictionless bullet would do no harm.

If you were to hit the bullet and cause the exact force of the bullet it would change direction with no effect. But if the force of the object hitting it was less then the force measured with the speed of the bullet it would cause damage. Also this all depends on the angle of hitting the bullet and the direction it was hit. To the side up or down gravity does play effect in this equation

Alasmic said:
If you were to hit the bullet and cause the exact force of the bullet it would change direction with no effect. But if the force of the object hitting it was less then the force measured with the speed of the bullet it would cause damage.
I refute both these claims.

We're talking about a human hand here. Damage can and probably will occur regardless of whether the oblique force is equal, less than or greater than the momentum of the bullet.

DaveC426913 said:
I refute both these claims.

We're talking about a human hand here. Damage can and probably will occur regardless of whether the oblique force is equal, less than or greater than the momentum of the bullet.
If your talking about heat yes but for the amount of time touching the bullet there would not be enough time to transfer the heat needed to cause damage

Alasmic said:
If your talking about heat yes but for the amount of time touching the bullet there would not be enough time to transfer the heat needed to cause damage
Regardless of skin blood bone or metal if the force is exact then their shouldn't be variants

TheShredder said:
at the same speed as the bullet

A bullet moves at 1000 mph. People don't move that fast.

Vanadium 50 said:
A bullet moves at 1000 mph. People don't move that fast.
His question was theoretical

TheShredder said:
also here is a picture I made in case I could not explain the problem properly: http://imgur.com/ceATo5d
Thank you!

TheShredder said:
If the hit is made at a 90o angle

This won't work. You have a 1700 mph bullet and 1700 mph hand. They have a collision velocity of 1700*sqrt(2) = 2400 miles per hour. The bullet puts a hole in the hand no matter how cold or frictionless it is.

Likes Bystander
Alasmic said:
I can say that I have 'experimental evidence' that a very brief contact of human flesh with a hot object (such as a soldering iron) will cause tissue damage.

Likes billy_joule
stedwards said:
1700 mph bullet and 1700 mph hand. They have collision velocity of 1700*sqrt(2)
That was my take on the OP as written. The other possible "twist" is that "The Bulletproof Monk" can parallel the trajectory for a couple milliseconds and "tap/slap/nudge" it sideways by some measureable amount.

stedwards said:
This won't work. You have a 1700 mph bullet and 1700 mph hand. They have a collision velocity of 1700*sqrt(2) = 2400 miles per hour. The bullet puts a hole in the hand no matter how cold or frictionless it is.
At a 90 degree angle it would knock the bullet of its course but at and degree above that I believe yes it would go through the skin probably at twice the speed of a stationary hand

Bystander said:
That was my take on the OP as written. The other possible "twist" is that "The Bulletproof Monk" can parallel the trajectory for a couple milliseconds and "tap/slap/nudge" it sideways by some measureable amount.

Alasmic said:
At a 90 degree angle it would knock the bullet of its course but at and degree above that I believe yes it would go through the skin probably at twice the speed of a stationary hand

No. In the center of velocity frame you just get hit by a faster bullet. Bystander understands what trajectory is required of the magical 1700+ mph hand.

stedwards said:
No. In the center of velocity frame you just get hit by a faster bullet. Bystander understands what trajectory is required of the magical 1700+ mph hand.
Do you propose constructing a lab with the object of impact having the same elasticity and angle!?

No. Why?

Considering your hand is very squishy compared to a perfectly rigid object, hitting the bullet with enough force to push it off target would undoubtedly cause the bullet to go through a considerable amount of skin/muscle, not just skim along the surface.

TheShredder said:
if a person were to move their hand from the side of the bullet (so as to slap the bullet) , at the same speed as the bullet,
Maybe he meant hitting from the back, moving the hand slightly faster than the bullet?

Alasmic said:
Regardless of skin blood bone or metal if the force is exact then their shouldn't be variants
How do you come to the conclusion that somebody's hand would not be severely damaged by impact with a bullet moving at 3 times the speed of sound? The fact that the hand is moving obliquely will not change the momentum of the bullet. Trying to swing at it hard enough to deflect it is going to tear your hand up.

DaveC426913 said:
The fact that the hand is moving obliquely will not change the momentum of the bullet.

Effectively, the momentum is increased.

This little question is similar to asking if you can be saved from getting smashed into the floor of a falling elevator if you jump at the moment before impact.

What is not so obvious in the frame of the building, is obvious in the elevator frame.
What is not so obvious in the Earth frame, is obvious in frame of the hand.

1. What happens to the bullet if it is hit from the side?

If a bullet is hit from the side, it will likely spin or tumble off course, resulting in a decrease in accuracy and potentially causing it to miss its intended target.

2. Can hitting a bullet from the side cause it to explode?

No, hitting a bullet from the side would not cause it to explode. The explosion of a bullet is caused by the rapid expansion of gases inside the casing, not by external impacts.

3. Will the speed or trajectory of the bullet change if it is hit from the side?

Yes, the speed and trajectory of the bullet will likely be affected if it is hit from the side. The force of impact can alter the bullet's path and decrease its velocity, leading to a decrease in accuracy.

4. Is it possible to redirect the bullet's path by hitting it from the side?

Yes, it is possible to redirect the bullet's path by hitting it from the side. However, this would require precise timing and aim, making it a difficult and unlikely scenario.

5. Can hitting a bullet from the side cause it to ricochet?

Yes, hitting a bullet from the side can cause it to ricochet. If the angle and force of impact are just right, the bullet can bounce off a surface and potentially cause harm to unintended targets.