What happens to a ball thrown forward vs. backward in a moving train?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Transformati
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Train
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Transformati
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Can someone answer this question? If I throw a ball forward and another one backward (opposite to the train's movement) in a moving train, do both balls land at an equal distance from the thrower? I suspect throwing a ball forward is the same as throwing it in a motionless train but what about the ball thrown backward - does it land within a shorter distance?

The speed of the train is constant.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the ball and the throw are the same, the ball will land at the same distance from the thrower.

As you mentioned yourself, there is no difference between a motionless train and one that is moving at constant speed (Galilean relativity).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Transformati
Thanks for the reply DrClaude. Right after my post I read an excerpt from Galileo Galilei's book and I understood how it works (in Galileo's case he was testing moving objects within a ship's hull).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK