Newbie question -- A train in space with a ball floating in a train car....

In summary, the person asks a question about a train moving in a straight line with a ball floating in a vacuumed car. They wonder if the ball will remain motionless or slowly approach the opposite wall as the train accelerates. The expert responds that the ball will remain motionless until it is hit by the back wall of the train car. The person then asks about a train moving at the speed of light and the expert clarifies that this is not possible.
Nyloth
Hello, I am someone who has no experience in physics other than primary/high school and I have a quick simple question about something I can't wrap my mind around as a complete physics newbie. Please have understanding.

The question: let's say a train is standing still at a point in space (so there is no forces like gravity acting on it). One of the vagons is completelly vacuumed and in the center of that vagon a ball is floating, standing still at its center, not touching any of the vagon's walls. The train begins moving forward in a straight line. What happens to the ball at the center of the vacuumed vagon? Does it remain in that exact place until it is hit by a vagon wall (so that it is completely unnaffected by the trains movement) or does it begin moving with the vagon and only slowly approach the wall opposite wall due to the acelleration? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
As there are no forces acting on that ball, indeed it will stand still (until the wagon wall eventually hits it).

Likes russ_watters
Nyloth said:
The question: let's say a train is standing still at a point in space (so there is no forces like gravity acting on it). One of the vagons is completelly vacuumed and in the center of that vagon a ball is floating, standing still at its center, not touching any of the vagon's walls. The train begins moving forward in a straight line. What happens to the ball at the center of the vacuumed vagon? Does it remain in that exact place until it is hit by a vagon wall (so that it is completely unnaffected by the trains movement) or does it begin moving with the vagon and only slowly approach the wall opposite wall due to the acelleration? Thank you
With no forces being applied to the ball, it will remain motionless with respect to the original frame of reference while the train accelerates around it...until the back wall of the train car collides with it.

russ_watters said:
With no forces being applied to the ball, it will remain motionless with respect to the original frame of reference while the train accelerates around it...until the back wall of the train car collides with it.
Why is this not the same for light? For example if a train is moving with speed of light in a straight line, why would light need to catch up with the front wall of the vacuumed vagon at the speed of light and illuminate the whole vagon? Again, i am a newbie and i know I am missing important premises here and the way i formulaed this question is faulty but hey it doesn't hurt to ask.

Nyloth said:
Why is this not the same for light? For example if a train is moving with speed of light in a straight line, why would light need to catch up with the front wall of the vacuumed vagon at the speed of light and illuminate the whole vagon?
I don't see what this has to do with your first question/scenario. Every bit of it is different except that it involves a train. So please define this new scenario more specifically before asking a question about it - I don't understand what the scenario is, what you think is supposed to be happening or why.

That said, note that trains cannot travel at the speed of light, even in theory.

Light is never motionless. Therefore a train can't travel at light speed.

Likes russ_watters

What is the concept of a train in space with a ball floating in a train car?

The concept of a train in space with a ball floating in a train car is an example of Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. It states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

Why does the ball float in the train car instead of falling to the ground?

The ball appears to float in the train car because the train and everything inside it, including the ball, are all moving at the same velocity in the vacuum of space. This creates the illusion of weightlessness and negates the effect of gravity.

What would happen if the train suddenly stopped or changed direction?

If the train suddenly stopped or changed direction, the ball would continue to move at its original velocity due to its inertia. This would cause the ball to appear to float towards the back of the train car.

Could a train in space with a ball floating in it actually exist?

While it is possible to create a train-like structure in space, it would not be able to operate like a traditional train on Earth. The concept of a train in space with a ball floating in it is simply a thought experiment to help understand the laws of motion.

Are there any real-life applications for this concept?

The concept of a train in space with a ball floating in it is not a practical or feasible concept for real-life applications. However, understanding the principles behind it can be useful in fields such as space exploration and engineering.