What happens to a shear wave at a solid/fluid boarder

In summary, the article discusses how a shear wave (transverse wave) can only propagate through a solid if the angle of incidence is perpendicular to the interface. If the angle of incidence is not perpendicular, some of the energy will be reflected.
Nomator
Hey people, I am embarrassed and I tried hard to find an answer on that one.

I know that shear waves only travel in solid media but what happens on the border from a solid to a liquid. Does the shear wave cause a longitudinal wave?

I found an article where a graphic shows that behavior but wherever I look for a text description what happens and why I don't find anything.

I would really appreciate it if somebody can tell me if I am right or wrong or even better has a quote which proves that behavior.

You can find the article here and the graphic is figure1:

http://www.cnde-iitm.net/Published%20Papers%20pdf/1996%20EFFECT%20OF%20VISCOSITY_15.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome.
If the wave can't propagate across an interface then it will be reflected. In fact at any interface where the speed or some other characteristic changes , some energy is reflected. The principle of conservation of energy always applies (one way or another) and many explanations are based on it.

I just had an idea. If the shear wave hits the interface at an angle, the longitudinal component of the oscillations can couple into the liquid.

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think the angle is a requirement?

It's just funny that I don't find anything on the web about a behavior like this. I asked a prof. and he said yes but i don't know if he thought about it deeply...

Nomator said:
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think the angle is a requirement?

It's just funny that I don't find anything on the web about a behavior like this. I asked a prof. and he said yes but i don't know if he thought about it deeply...

He was probably considering his Christmas Departmental Lunch!

The longitudinal component of the wave would be proportional to the sine of the angle of incidence (would it not?). In addition to that factor, you will have the usual reflection coefficient, involving the two velocities. I think this link would tell you all you need but there a many others. That link doesn't discuss transverse waves but I think you could just deal with the longitudinal component and get the right answer (if the solid medium is isotropic and linear)
If you need to produce any work about this then I am sure that approaching it this way would be quite acceptable. You had a go and in a valid way!

I can't get your link to open I'm afraid.

Ok i get the point that the energy from the transverse wave has to get somewhere when it is not reflected. The reflection theories are no problem.

I looked at this article again now and i think it pretty much solves my problem I sometimes need a to describe my problem and talk about it to really understand what I am about to do.

The only thing what I don't get is the longitudinal component.

The article is attached.

Thanks so much so far if you want to go on explaining the longitudinal component to me more I would be happy but that would be the "top of the muffin".

Attachments

• G8DFur-1996 EFFECT OF VISCOSITY_15.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 310
Whether or not a longitudinal wave emerges depends on the angle of incidence. I.e. for perpendicular incidence of the shear wave, no longitudinal wave will be created.

Nomator said:
Ok i get the point that the energy from the transverse wave has to get somewhere when it is not reflected. The reflection theories are no problem.

I looked at this article again now and i think it pretty much solves my problem I sometimes need a to describe my problem and talk about it to really understand what I am about to do.

The only thing what I don't get is the longitudinal component.

The article is attached.

Thanks so much so far if you want to go on explaining the longitudinal component to me more I would be happy but that would be the "top of the muffin".

You need the component of the original transverse displacement in the solid that is not parallel to the interface (because that won't couple into the liquid). i.e. you want the Normal component to the interface - which is A sinθ, where A is the Amplitude of the transverse wave and θ is the angle of incidence. It is zero for normal incidence (as a check).

I read that article (briefly). The diagram at the top of p818 seems to tell the story and they mention Snell's Law, which figures. It makes sense to me - but if I actually wanted to do some calculations and predictions it might not be so simple!

What is a shear wave?

A shear wave is a type of seismic wave that causes particles in a medium to move perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. It is one of the two main types of seismic waves, along with compressional waves.

How is a shear wave affected at a solid/fluid border?

At a solid/fluid border, a shear wave experiences a change in velocity and direction. This is because the properties of the medium (solid vs. fluid) change, causing the wave to refract and reflect.

What happens to the amplitude of a shear wave at a solid/fluid border?

The amplitude of a shear wave remains constant at a solid/fluid border. However, the energy of the wave may be partially reflected and partially transmitted, resulting in a decrease in amplitude after the border.

Can a shear wave pass through a solid/fluid border?

Yes, a shear wave can pass through a solid/fluid border, but it may be partially reflected and refracted. The amount of energy transmitted depends on the properties of the two media and the angle of incidence of the wave.

What factors affect the behavior of a shear wave at a solid/fluid border?

The behavior of a shear wave at a solid/fluid border is affected by the density, stiffness, and viscosity of the two media, as well as the angle of incidence of the wave. These factors determine the amount of energy that is reflected, transmitted, and refracted at the border.