What happens to an object in a free-falling ship?

• Thread starter Karl Coryat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ship
In summary, the question asks what happens to a ball released in an unpowered spaceship orbiting the Sun in a highly eccentric orbit. The answer is that it will float due to weightlessness, assuming tidal effects are negligible and the ball is released at the center of mass of the non-rotating ship. However, specifying initial speed and rotation may complicate the question for the general public and should be avoided for simplicity. The ship's rotation can be described relative to the Sun or fixed stars, but it is ultimately relative to an inertial system.
Karl Coryat
The answer to this question should be obvious, but I want to make sure. I'm writing a quiz containing difficult general-science questions. One of the questions is:

"You’re in an unpowered spaceship that’s going around the Sun in a very off-kilter (i.e., highly eccentric) orbit. Just as your ship is tearing around the Sun at its closest approach, you release a ball inside the ship. What does the ball do?"

I believe that it floats. I assume tidal effects can be considered nil or negligible.

I like the question because everybody knows the case of the free-falling elevator. In this case, a lay reader might be tempted to believe there's something different about bending around the Sun, as opposed to falling directly toward it. So it checks whether they know that orbiting is free falling.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.
But if the ship is large enough, tidal effects may not be zero everywhere in the ship.
It can't hurt to specify that the ball is released at/near the centre-of-mass of the ship.

Also, eliminate the term off-kilter; it may lead to confusion.

Karl Coryat said:
"You’re in an unpowered spaceship that’s going around the Sun in a very off-kilter (i.e., highly eccentric) orbit. Just as your ship is tearing around the Sun at its closest approach, you release a ball inside the ship. What does the ball do?"

I believe that it floats. I assume tidal effects can be considered nil or negligible.

You should mention that the ship is non-rotating.

DaveC426913 said:
But if the ship is large enough, tidal effects may not be zero everywhere in the ship.
Ah that's an excellent point and exactly why I came here.

I assume if I specify it's at the center of mass, that also makes rotation a non-issue.

Karl Coryat said:
I assume if I specify it's at the center of mass, that also makes rotation a non-issue.

That depends on the system of reference.

DrStupid said:
That depends on the system of reference.
Shouldn't.

If the ball is at the CoM, it will stay there, whether or not the ship is rotating (since, after-all, it will be rotating about its CoM).

DaveC426913 said:
If the ball is at the CoM, it will stay there, whether or not the ship is rotating (since, after-all, it will be rotating about its CoM).

That would require that the ball is released without initial speed.

DrStupid said:
That would require that the ball is released without initial speed.
The entire experiment is predicated on the ball being released without initial speed.
I'll bet that the answer the OP is expecting is 'the ball will remain stationary', not 'the ball will continue on its course.'

If you assume some initial motion, yes, you've got some serious problems. Now you have to describe what it means for the ship to be non-rotating. Relative to the Sun? Relative to the fixed stars?

Yes, we know the answer, but the problem would have to be explicit about it to avoid confusion, and that adds complexity to what is supposed to be a simple question.So yup, you're going to have specify that the ball is released without any initial motion.

DaveC426913 said:
The entire experiment is predicated on the ball being released without initial speed.

Even after second reading I did not find such a limitation.

DaveC426913 said:
Now you have to describe what it means for the ship to be non-rotating.

Really?

It really is supposed to be a simple question for the general public. I think complications such as an initial speed, rotation, etc. will be eliminated by the other choices of answers -- things like "It moves toward the Sun due to the strong gravity" and "It moves away from the Sun due to centrifugal effects." Anyhow, thanks for your help as always.

DrStupid said:
DaveC426913 said:
Even after second reading I did not find such a limitation.
I know. It's implicit. You introduced the element of movement which means you then have to address the element of rotation. Which makes it more complicated. Since the OP expects it to be simple then we're going to have to make sure it's simple. The OP's question and answer are predicated on being simple.
DrStupid said:
DaveC426913 said:
Now you have to describe what it means for the ship to be non-rotating.
Really?
Really.

Which is it? Relative to the Sun or relative to the fixed stars? Either one is a reasonable understanding from a general public person. This is demonstrable right here on PF considering the number of people that argue till they're blue that the Moon is not rotating as it orbits Earth.

Karl Coryat said:
It really is supposed to be a simple question for the general public.
Yup. It just takes a little careful wording up front to ensure it is simple.

DaveC426913 said:
Relative to the Sun or relative to the fixed stars?

Relative to an inertial system. Rotation doesn't need an external reference.

DrStupid said:
Relative to an inertial system. Rotation doesn't need an external reference.
As I said, while true, it will complicate the question for the reader, leading to confused, incomplete or incorrect answers, confounding the OP's goal. It's supposed to be simple - weightlessness in solar orbit being similar to weightlessness in Earth orbit. That's really all they're supposed to deduce.

1. What is free-fall?

Free-fall is a state in which an object is falling under the sole influence of gravity, without any other forces acting upon it. In this state, the object is accelerating towards the ground at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. How does free-fall affect objects inside a ship?

In a free-falling ship, all objects (including the ship itself) are in a state of weightlessness. This means that they are not experiencing any gravitational force and are essentially floating inside the ship.

3. Will objects inside a free-falling ship appear to float or fall?

Objects inside a free-falling ship will appear to float, as they are experiencing the same acceleration as the ship itself. This is because the ship and all its contents are falling towards the ground at the same rate.

4. How does air resistance affect objects in a free-falling ship?

In a vacuum, air resistance has no effect on objects in free-fall. However, in a real-life scenario, air resistance may slow down the acceleration of the ship and objects inside it, resulting in a slightly slower free-fall.

5. Will the mass of an object affect its free-fall in a ship?

No, the mass of an object does not affect its free-fall in a ship. In a vacuum, all objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate. However, in a real-life scenario, air resistance may affect the rate of free-fall for objects with different masses.