What happens to energy in a complete inelastic collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Adit
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
Could be a stupid question. But in case of complete inelastic collision, when one particle is at rest and other one collides with it and both move together, I made calculations(pretty simple ones), the conservation of linear momentum and conservation of kinetic energy give different results.
Can anyone explain it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Adit said:
conservation of kinetic energy give different results

They should, kinetic energy is only conserved in elastic collisions.
 
So, what happens to rest of the energy? Heat? Any law of thermodynamic?
 
I mean there's a precise amount of energy getting drained. It has to impact somewhere, like if in space, sound won't be a concern. If you can tell it more specifically. But thanks anyway, I got it. A burden out of my head.