Orbit decay of particles w/ synchrotron radiation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Cibo Matto
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Hello everyone!

I had a question about a particle (say a proton) with relativistic energies interacts with a magnetic field (in the z direction). As it is accelerates the particle emits synchrotron radiation. Naturally I assume that this emission of photons reduces the particle's energy. My question is as the energy decreases is there a change of orbit (orbit decay) associated with the emission of synchrotron radiation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cibo Matto said:
Hello everyone!

I had a question about a particle (say a proton) with relativistic energies interacts with a magnetic field (in the z direction). As it is accelerates the particle emits synchrotron radiation. Naturally I assume that this emission of photons reduces the particle's energy. My question is as the energy decreases is there a change of orbit (orbit decay) associated with the emission of synchrotron radiation?

Welcome to the PF.

Are you familiar with the equation for the Lorentz force? :smile: