What happens when Ca is added to water?

• Thread starter MotoPayton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, During a science experiment, a physics teacher added solid Ca to hot water, which produced hydrogen gas. This caused the solution to become alkaline, with Ca2+ ions being produced. The reaction also resulted in hydronium production. Eventually, equilibrium was reached between the solid calcium hydroxide, solid Ca, and ions in the solution. The solution is believed to be acidic unless all the hydronium turned into H2 gas.
MotoPayton
I watched a science experiment recently at school where my physics teacher put quite a bit of solid Ca in hot water and let it produce hydrogen gas.

Since I have been learning about acids in bases in chem, I was trying to analyze what happened here.

Ca dissociates from itself to produce Ca2+ cations that. First question( where did the electrons go?)

Next I assumed that the Ca2+ ions started absorbing the hydroxide ions from solution to form Ca(OH)2 (s) (which has a low Ksp.) During this reaction the hydronium is produced(why is the H2 formed instead of just (H30+)

Then eventually equilibrium is reached between the solid calcium hydroxide, the solid Ca, and the ions in solution.

And I believe the solution to be acidic unless all the H30+ turned into H2 gas.

Not sure on all of this and If anyone could provide a detailed analysis I would be stoked to read it.

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ca doesn't dissociate, it reduces water, producing hydrogen, solution becomes alkalic, you are right about Ca2+ being produced.

IMHO that's enough information to write reaction equation (well, IMHO it is twice enough).

1. What is the chemical reaction that occurs when Ca is added to water?

When calcium (Ca) is added to water, a chemical reaction occurs in which the Ca atoms displace the hydrogen (H) atoms in the water molecules, resulting in the formation of calcium hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) and the release of hydrogen gas (H2).

2. Is it safe to drink water with added Ca?

Calcium is an essential mineral for our bodies and is commonly found in drinking water. The reaction between Ca and water produces calcium hydroxide, which can raise the pH of the water. This can make the water taste slightly bitter, but it is not harmful to drink in small amounts.

3. What are the benefits of adding Ca to water?

Adding Ca to water can help raise the pH and mineral content of the water. This can make the water less acidic and more alkaline, which may have health benefits such as improved digestion and reduced risk of certain diseases. Additionally, calcium is an important nutrient for bone health.

4. Can adding Ca to water soften hard water?

Hard water is water that contains high levels of minerals, such as calcium and magnesium. When Ca is added to hard water, it reacts with the other minerals and forms calcium carbonate, which is insoluble and can be removed, making the water softer. However, this process is not as effective as using a water softener.

5. What happens if too much Ca is added to water?

Adding too much Ca to water can result in a high pH, which can make the water taste bitter and may cause scaling in pipes and appliances. Additionally, excess Ca can interfere with the absorption of other minerals in the body and may be harmful to individuals with certain health conditions. It is important to monitor and regulate the amount of Ca added to water.